SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

How big is yours?

numbersjunkie
9 years ago

I 'm not building, but planning a master bath remodel, and possibly other changes to our second floor layout. I'm posting here because this seems to be a very active board where general space planning and layout issues are frequently discussed. I'm considering making our master suite smaller and eliminating the dual closets to give us a 4th bedroom. The reason for this is that all of the other homes in our area all have at least 4 bedrooms, I feel like our master is too large with much wasted space, and I could make better use of the space if it was a separate room.. But DH has concerns about losing "his" separate walk in closet. So what I would like to know is how big is big enough for a shared walk-in closet?

Some more background - our home is 3200 sq ft and the master bedroom is currently 17 x 21. Our current closets are poorly organized with a single pole and shelf on the long wall and some shelving on one side wall. His is 8-7 by 5-11, mine is 10-8 by 6-10.

The new layout I'm considering gives us a master bedroom that is 15-7 by 17-4. The shared closet will be 12-3 by 7-6 and will have mostly double rods (upper & lower), plus a linen storage area and shoe shelving. The hanging space will be 7-8 on one side and 9-0 on the other. The closet will open to the master and also to the master bath. I should also mention that the proposed layout would give us a hall closet (part of his old closet), just outside of our room that would be 5-8 by 5-11. It would be a great place to store the vacuum, suitcases, and off season clothing.

FYI, DH is retired and I am still working but not a clothes horse. It's safe to say, we could both get rid of 90% of the stuff hanging in our closets and because we just don't dress that way. BUT, I wonder about resale - is the shared master closet size adequate? How big is your master closet - and do you have a shared closet or his/hers?

Comments (10)