SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

How can a kitchen dealer generate new customers in this slow economy? Are you looking for lower prices? a less expensive

product? What will it take to get your business in the coming months? What will you do differently then you have done in the past? to get your new kitchens or bathrooms remodeled?

Are you even thinking about it? or have you put it on hold?

Will appreciate your response, Even as a reputable and service oriented dealer of kitchens & bathrooms I have seen a tremendous slow down and wondering how to respond to it.

Thanks for all your responses.

Hughie

Comments (4)

• ladycfp
    15 years ago

My original plan after the lovely MB renovation was to proceed to the kitchen. I couldn't wait to have heated tile floors. Unfortunately, we had to rip our new bathroom out practically down to the subfloor due to a workman's error and are rebuilding it for the second time. You don't even want to whisper the word remodel around this house. Think I'll live with the cold kitchen floor.

• golddust
    15 years ago

I have never used a kitchen or bath designer but I do know times are tough. I'm in California, we own our own business and we are struggling for the first time in years.

The good news is that we have lived in our house for 18 years so we haven't lost all our equity. Our daughter just bought a house for 1/2 the price of just two years ago. 2000 square feet for $295,000. in a great neighborhood is almost unheard of prices for the area we live.

Our new bathroom upstairs has cost us lots less than we thought it would. We are DIY people who are enjoying saving money in these terrible times. I just plucked a $2500. Porcher Sonnet Large console sink off Ebay for $499.00!! My faucet set cost me $154. and is listed in the current Restoration Hardware catalog for $409. Everything is negotiable these days - from installation of flooring to the price of materials here in California.

My girlfriend always uses designers for her house but the thing is I paid less for my solid surface granite countertops than she paid for granite tile and she still hates the grout. She had her wooden cabinets painted at the same time and the paint didn't cure right. My cabinet depth Sub Zero refrigerator cost less than her refrigerator that sticks out way too far into her kitchen. That is the difference between paying for designers or not.

That said, my girlfriend hates doing the shopping/research and I don't. I like having nicer things that costs less and because I will be living with my improvements, I'm more careful and thoughtful than most designer's work I have seen.

• tulipscarolan
    15 years ago

Hi there.
    I think I read your question a little differently. I think you are looking to understand what we, as potential customers, would be looking for from you (a reputable kitchen & bath supplier) during these difficult economic times.

I'm sorry to be so vague. I think the first thing that is clear to me is that you really care about your customer needs (thus your question). I think you have that going for you, and it is readily perceived by customers. That being said, obviously for a variety of reasons, many people are postponing plans for renovations, and it seems wise to offer various budget-friendly options. Whether this means offering lower-end, less expensive items or figuring out how to offer better deals on high-end items really depends on your location, the type of customers who come into your showroom, etc. I'm sorry I don't have the silver bullet answer.

One thing that may help is really offering solid guidance. I think when people are looking to re-do a bathroom, it is so hard not to be attracted to the nicest everything. But really, you can do a mixture, and have some less costly items and then a few real signature splurges, to come out with a high-end look. For example, you can use basic box-store white subway tile, but splurge on a beautiful sink or lighting, and have a classic gorgeous look. Or you might love a spectacular tile, but can go with more reasonable fixtures. So I think if you have designers that can help people prioritize so that they end up with a reasonable budget but a spectacular look, that could be very valuable advice that might win you some business. Good luck, I think it will be a tricky year for most, but it sounds like you are on the right path with your dedication to customer needs.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    15 years ago

I think people are looking for VALUE! The real estate market stinks so people are not going to gut their kitchen and baths knowing they will never see a 100% return for many, many years.

I would market your services in such a way that by doing a "facelift" your house may sell faster.

A house in our neighborhood (SE Michigan) has been on the market for three years. The Real Estate agent finally told them to re-do the kitchen. They did and it is still on the market a year and half later. They just put a bunch of money into the kitchen and it hurts to then cut the price further.

Face-lifts are what people should be doing now unless they are staying for 10 years or more.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County