SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwilk42

Condensation between Glass/ Wolf Oven Door

mwilk42
17 years ago

some time ago there was a thread on this. I have not been able to find it. I hope whoever posted it will read this and reply. When I use my lower oven, condensation forms between the glass. This doesn't seem right to me. Should this EVER happen? I don't see it addressed in the manual.

happened in a couple of different modes.

Don't think it happens in the upper oven, but am going to try baking the exact same thing, same rack postion, same amount of time this afternoon so I can note my results for when I call them.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Comments (27)

• jejvtr
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

sounds like a break in the seal

• mwilk42
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks. I guess I will call Wolf and inquire about it. I have a couple of other issues to ask them about as well.

• Related Discussions

Cleaning oven door between glass panels

Q

Comments (2)
    I once took my GE oven door apart to clean the glass. Had to call a GE service man to put it together and HE had trouble doing it. I don't understand the picture you posted. If the fly swatter still had its swatting pad to tape a Swiffer to, the slot must have been very wide. I thought you had taken it off and wrapped the Swiffer to the handle. I have some surgical brushes that have long handles so they can clean long cannulas used in blood machines etc. Long story. Maybe I can use your tip and try it, but I don't think it will pick up dirt very well. Might try wrapping the Swiffer but the hole would have to be awfully large too.
    ...See More

Viking Range--How to Clean Between Glass Panels on Oven Door

Q

Comments (4)
    Not familiar with a Viking oven door but on most mass produced thin stainless steel residential ranges the outside of the door is kept rigid by being under tension and requires a selection of soft clamps and a suitably prepared work area for proper disassembly and reassembly that won't cause the metal panel to bend at the attaching points. Try to dig up more information. Try to find a parts diagram. If the door is quite heavy on its own with lots of bolts holding it together it may not be too difficult. But if it feels fairly light in weight, opening it up it may be like triggering a mousetrap.
    ...See More

dust between glass in oven doors!!

Q

Comments (3)
    I called my appliance dealer who happened to be on hold with Electrolux when he took my call. He said he would add my issue to his phone conversation. He called me back and said that Electrolux would replace the door! No fight, no verification by anyone, just my word. Sorry that their level of responsiveness has not been the same for some of the Electrolux Fridge owners....have followed their blogs and I am sooooo happy I didn't go with the fridge too. Let's hope the new one doesn't have the same issue! Thanks for your advice.
    ...See More

cleaning glass window between oven doors

Q

Comments (1)
    Nice! Thanks!
    ...See More
  • motu
    17 years ago

Our door has been replaced twice in the last year with still no improvement. Waiting to hear from them next week I hope. I'm willing to wait for an improved door seal, but for the money, they need to fix this issue.

• koilady_2006
    17 years ago

I am having trouble with moisture re my Wolf 30inch range.
    I had so much moisture upon pre-heating that it was running down the wall in back of the range. I also had moisture in the oven upon pre-heating. Now, Wolf says they have never heard of this happening before. We put a moisture meter in the oven and it was 99% - house is only 20-40%. This does goes away after the pre-heat phase. Any ideas?????

• pamela928
    17 years ago

Koilady--
    My first thought is that your oven was stored somewhere where the insulation got damp and that in time it should dry out. My second thought is that MY Wolf oven is in our garage where it's probably damp and I may be creating the same problem. Acckkk.

PLEASE let us know how this turns out for you. And justsayno and jejvtr--this condensation issue is unacceptable. The water will mar the glass door appearance and it's just not normal. Please be forceful with customer service and tell them about this forum. You may get better results.
    P.

• mcmann
    17 years ago

Dacor replaced my entire double wall oven because we had excessive condensation between the glass on just one oven. There have been complaints about Dacor on other threads where the customers have had extremely poor company response. Perhaps I benefited from these prior problems.

When I called Dacor they initially said that since the heat is vented through the door some condensation is normal and should resemble a fine mist but that it should dissipate during cooking. My condensation consisted of larger beads of water which lasted for 24 hours after cooking. Dacor had the service tech replace the glass pack. When he took the door apart to do this you could see where rust had formed on an interior panel so they replaced this too.

Unfortunately this did not correct the problem. I called customer service again and happened to be connected to a very knowledgeable individual. She explained that this has happened in several instances with this model and that they have determined that it's not just the oven but an odd combination of my oven, the way it's installed in the wall cabinets, the air flow in the room and perhaps some other variable.

She offered to replace the entire oven which was only 8 months old with the new style double wall ovens which are considerably more expensive. She mentioned that they had replaced some of these ovens in the past with the exact same model and sometimes the problem reoccured. So to avoid that happening again she volunteered the new ovens.

Needless to say I was absolutely thrilled with Dacor's response. They ordered the oven and had it installed at no cost to me. My only expense was having my cabinet altered because the new ovens are a little taller than the old ones. My cabinet maker was able to drop the platform by 1 inch without marring the cabinets. Dacor also offered to buy back the ovens if I wanted to purchase a different brand or did not want to change my cabinets.

I agree with Pamela. This is not normal and the interior of your door could also be rusting. Perhaps when you contact customer service you should speak with a supervisor who might be more knowledgeable. The first time I called Dacor the rep said that the condensation was probably normal. I am glad that I pursued it. The second time I called the second rep was fully aware of the problem and after the install when I called to thank her I found out that she had been promoted to 'team leader'.

Good luck.

• rococogurl
    17 years ago

This is an old issue that I remember from 3 years ago. Then there were posts that it had been resolved; then no further reports for quite some time. Until now.

So sorry. At least they are responsive.

• meg711
    16 years ago

Just bumping this up because I'm having a similar problem with my Dacor double ovens and don't want this thread to fall off the board.

• aliceinmd
    16 years ago

I copied a post titled "FP double oven - spillage inside glass window!" from December 30, 2006 into Word, but I cannot find it online now in either the Kitchens or Appliances Forum. Below are some excerpts that may be helpful to you.
    Alice

Posted by proudmamato4 (My Page) on Sat, Dec 30, 06 at 13:26
    This is unbelievable.
    Last night I was making Macaroni and Cheese casserole for my DH's birthday dinner. I had the casserole on the rack and was sliding it in, when the rack caught (you should know these racks don't slide smoothly). The sauce spilled out, down through the crevice in the upper oven, and into the lower oven, into the inside of the window panel!!! I do not understand how FP can make the opening between the two glass panes open from the top?!? When I open the lower oven door slightly, I can look down into the inside of the glass, where my cheese sauce is now residing happily, along with a bunch of dust. Now FP wants me to get a technician out to take my door apart to clean it. This is after a technician came out a month ago to rewire my ovens after my thermal coupler kept blowing after a self-clean. Now my ovens are very noisy when they run, like something is loose in the back. I've even taken out all the racks in case they were vibrating, and that's not it.
    Any idea if we can take apart the door ourselves and clean it?
    TIA,
    Nancy

Posted by seekingadvice (My Page) on Mon, Jan 1, 07 at 12:54
    Wow--it never occurred to me that that could happen. Kind of a freak accident, yet it brings up potential problems with the top being open like that and spillage from the upper oven able to drip into the lower one.
    I looked at mine and saw what you were talking about. The glass area is open at both top and bottom, I assume for ventilation/condensation purposes. I wonder if you could put some kind of glass piece across the top that was only open on the sides. That would pretty much prevent the accident you had. You could leave the outer one or two vent holes on each side unobstructed. This would have to go under the frame and I have no idea how such a thing would be accomplished, but it might be something to discuss with FP or suggest for future models. If this could be done, it would be nice to do it in conjunction with the tech's taking apart the door. You would have to check with FP about it and make sure it wouldn't void the warranty. I think it would only be necessary on the bottom oven in a double model.

ÂPosted by proudmamato4 (My Page) on Tue, Jan 2, 07 at 12:48
    There you are! I was wondering if everything was ok, Seeking.
    The NEW tech is coming out next Tuesday morning and will look at it. He comes highly recommended by my neighbor who has the FP DD's and Gas cooktop. So hopefully he will be nicer to work with than the last guy. He did tell me that the glass panes are always open on all ovens for safety reasons. But I still think it's bizarre. Remember the people, and I'm thinking Pecan was one of them, that had complaints about condensation inside the windows? At least this explains why, doesn't it?

• eamon2
    16 years ago

meg711

What model do you have? Have you contacted Dacor or had a technician out for repair?

• mwilk42
    Original Author
    16 years ago

update:
    Wolf replaced my door, and last nite while I used the oven, condensation again formed between the glass. Have called the tech back, and he is going to call Wolf and talk to them. I noticed that motu had the door replaced twice with no improvement. Just bumping this up to see if there is any news on that oven door. I hope they can find out what causes this and get it fixed.

• keitel
    16 years ago

What's the latest on that condensation issue? I was preheating my 30" Wolf AG this morning and noticed moisture in the window as well. It went away quite quickly but freaked me out nontheless. I guess I need to call Wolf but would like to know how things are working out for you justsaymo.

• Fori
    16 years ago

Someone a few days ago asked about this. She was told to live with it because it was normal. I can't believe how different the response would have been a few months ago! Should she have bought a Wolf? ;)

• mwilk42
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The technician called Wolf, and got back with me with this info. Wolf said it was a known issue, and that they would replace my door. I was told that they make so many doors, and then make other stuff and do not make the doors for awhile. He told me that they would be making new doors and they would get me one as soon as they had them, prob. sometime in July or Aug. as of yet, I have not heard anything from them. I should probably call them back and see if they have heard anything. sorry to be so late in answering, haven't been in here for awhile. I will be sure to post once I have some new information. or a new door. LOL
    justsaymo

• tammyct
    16 years ago

I've had my door disassembed twice under warranty for what looks like thin grease drips in between the glass panes. I couldn't figure out how I could have gotten grease down there. I've had the range for 2 years and I have to say that I can count on one hand how many times I cooked something that caused a big mess. I noticed this drip issue after my first self clean. Called my appliance store and they replaced the glass. I can see the same thing happening with the new door. I recently had a brand new oven cell installed under warranty for an issue where I noticed the blue chipping on the corner on the oven. I got that replaced right before the warranty ran out; however it was 3 months before the work was done because the first oven cell came in damaged. 2nd oven cell arrived and the guys went over it with a fine toothed comb and a high powered lamp to inspect for hairline cracks. That one was installed about 3 weeks ago. They suggested I run the initial startup process. Did that and what do I find? The same area of porcelain chipping off. Grrrr. I am currently waiting on my 2nd replacement oven cell. So I've had a lot of time to talk to the Wolf guys from my local authorized dealer. They say that drip/grease issue on the glass is on all the ranges they see, except one where the people don't use their oven because they don't cook. ;-) What happens is moisture with particles get into those vents on the door. If you were to drop something down those vents it would be in between the panes. You have to have air circulate through this door, this is part of the design - so they say. I just cannot for the life of me figure out how it finds its way into those vents because of the placement.

My oven roasts, bakes, broils like a charm so I don't get too hung up on the door grease issue anymore. It is a bit discouraging to put the oven light on and you can really see it but you cannot see it otherwise. I'm not used to having an appliance that shows so much wear for so little use. It is what it is and I still love it. It's a tool and I keep it clean and tidy as best I can.

• bretonb
    16 years ago

I am sorry I didn't see this thread before now. I just posted a query about my new LG range and convection roasting and grease spatter. The grease has got between the glass panels on my door. I am not sure where to turn with this.
    maybe others would like to read my post

convection roast / flying grease! Just posted a few minutes ago on appliance forum

• bretonb
    16 years ago

I just did a search on google for " grease between glass door" and what do you know, I found a post on this forum dated Sept. 17 2004 about the same problem. It seems that we are not alone. here is the link.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cleaning/msg092300439422.html

• breezy_2
    16 years ago

I've always understood that a cooling appliance is a moisture magnet. We once turned off our hot water heater (gas) when leaving for vacation. When we returned a few days later, there was a stream of water under the HW heater. Thinking we had a leak, I called the plumber. He too one look and told me HW heater was fine, they just sweat like crazy when you turn them off. I turned it on, it dried out and was fine.

My point? I have a Wolf 36 AG and it sweats up the back (and a bitup the front) every time it pre-heats. Once warm/hot the moisture is gone. I just never thought about it as being odd. I have never paid attention to the glass. I know it is not foggy when cool and I don't think it fogs when pre-heating.

• hawkster
    16 years ago

I had a spill in my first Wolf that got between the glass, and I fixed it myself. The glass in the door is two separate panes that are held together by a metal clamp that goes around the perimeter of the glass. This assembly is then sealed with duct tape. Not the dull gray cloth tape, but rather the shiny metallic stuff. It's this tape that allows leaks/condensation to enter. I disassembled the glass, thoroughly cleaned (no abrasives!) and dried it, and reassembled it, doubling up on the duct tape. The problem did not recur. That oven (pre-SubZero) got sold with the house. My new one has been free of the problem.

• grmi1108
    16 years ago

Bought oven 13 months ago - had bottom 2 doors already replaced. Today first time cooking anthing big (13# turkey) - condensation between glass dripping down and puddling on wood floor (not good). Dealer replaced before, hopefully will again. Hopefully problem resolved. Wolf rep acknoledged problem with door and last time we were to get an "upgraded" version. Don't I wish. Everything else about the oven my wife LOVES!!

• proudmamato4
    16 years ago

I copied a post titled "FP double oven - spillage inside glass window!" from December 30, 2006 into Word, but I cannot find it online now in either the Kitchens or Appliances Forum. Below are some excerpts that may be helpful to you.
    Alice
    Posted by proudmamato4 (My Page) on Sat, Dec 30, 06 at 13:26
    This is unbelievable.
    Last night I was making Macaroni and Cheese casserole for my DH's birthday dinner. I had the casserole on the rack and was sliding it in, when the rack caught (you should know these racks don't slide smoothly). The sauce spilled out, down through the crevice in the upper oven, and into the lower oven, into the inside of the window panel!!! I do not understand how FP can make the opening between the two glass panes open from the top?!? When I open the lower oven door slightly, I can look down into the inside of the glass, where my cheese sauce is now residing happily, along with a bunch of dust. Now FP wants me to get a technician out to take my door apart to clean it. This is after a technician came out a month ago to rewire my ovens after my thermal coupler kept blowing after a self-clean. Now my ovens are very noisy when they run, like something is loose in the back. I've even taken out all the racks in case they were vibrating, and that's not it.
    Any idea if we can take apart the door ourselves and clean it?
    TIA,
    Nancy

I just wanted to let you know that FINALLY DH and I took the door off the oven yesterday. We unscrewed the panel, and then unscrewed the metal that held the glass in. Lifting it up gently, I used Windex to clean off the offending Mac and cheese sauce, then we started to put it back together. We had a little trouble lining up the gaskets just right, but in the end, everything worked out great, and my door is CLEAN again! I can't believe how long it's been bugging me. It was like my eyes were drawn to that spill everytime I was in the kitchen.

This is now the 4th appliance I've had hands-on experience taking apart and/or fixing. I'm loving that I am no longer afraid.

Nancy

• lorisaguto
    15 years ago

I am having serious condensation issues inside my wolf gas range and stumbled on this site for help. The condensation is so bad that it comes out of the vent on top and covers the entire tiled wall behind the range. Wolf service told me I should change from the island trim to the 5" trim kit - I did - same issue. I've had two Wolf approved service people out yet no one seems to know what is causing the problem; however, based on this site, it seems that this is a continuous problem. Has anyone had any further issues with Wolf on this. I'm tempted to request an entirely new oven based on the door issue replacements expressed earlier by posters.

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

I know you don't want to hear this but I believe this is normal. I had a Wolf AG and it would steam up the SS backsplash during preheat (to the point water beaded) but then burned off about 10 minutes or so into preheat. Before that I had a standard residential GE gas range and you could see condensation forming on its oven vent at first then it would burn off.

I have BS now and don't notice it because I set the range 4 inches off the wall (not for condensation but to be able to accomodate large pots on the the rear burners). Next time I preheat, I will put up a cookie sheet and see but I bet it will collect condensation at first then burn off. As these types of appliances heat up, they drive any moisture in the unit out. As they cool, they drink that moisture back in. As a matter of fact, I have heard that a cooling appliance is a moisture magnet. We once went on vacation and were going to be gone 10 days so brilliant me decided to turn off gas hot water heater. When we retuned, we found water driping out of the HWH and running in a small trickle out the garage doors. Assuming the HWH was toast, I called my HVAC and plumbing guy (nice neighbor to have) from across the street to ask what it was going to cost to replace. He took one look at it and asked when we turned it off and I replied 10 days earlier. That is when he made the comment that a cooling appliance is a moisture magnet and that HWH were the worst. He said turn it on and we wuld be fine and just put it on warm in the future when we leave for extended periods. We did and 6 years later when we moved it was still fine and dry.

I am puzzled why Wolf tech's did not raise this to you though.

• markw
    15 years ago

lorisaguto, breezy 2's mostly got the reasons wrong but the conclusions are right: your condensation is normal. Unless it's so bad that it's running down behind your range and rotting the floor or something, you don't have a problem.

Whenever burn a hydrocarbon - whether it's natural gas, propane, gasoline, coal, wood, whatever - almost all of what you get is carbon dioxide and water. In other words, the entire time your oven is on, what you have coming out of that vent (along with cooking smells) is carbon dioxide and water in the form of steam. Carbon dioxide (or CO2), as we know all are told, causes global warming. The steam/water vapor can condense on a relatively cool surface, just like on a glass of ice water on a warm, humid day. When the oven first turned on, the flame is on full time and you generate a lot of water vapor, which can condense on the glass in your oven door, or, as in your case, near the vent. Later, when everything is warmed up and the flame isn't on so much, you might not see condensation anymore. Water vapor is still coming out, you just can't see it. To the extent it's not going up your range hood, it's adding humidity to your room. It's no big deal. Relax! Or buy an electric oven, which would mostly (you still might get some water from the cooking food) not do this.

• capecodcook
    15 years ago

For better or worse, condensation on a backsplash behind a gas stove is fairly normal. The only two products of normal natural gas combustion are carbon dioxide and water. The water vapor vents out the the back of the stove, hits the cool backsplash and condenses. Just like breathing on a cool window fogs it up. As the stove preheats, the backsplash warms up and is less likely to cause condensation. In addition the overall temperature of the exhausting gases and vapors is rising as the oven preheats, again decreasing the tendency to condense right on the backsplash. Instead it is probably condensing in your hood ducting. Short of going to an electric oven, not a lot to do about this. I have no idea why this is more of a problem with some stoves than others, other that it is backsplash sensitive. A metal backslash will cause condensation more than tile or plaster. (This has nothing to do with condensation between the glass windows in the over. I get a little of that with my electric wall oven.)

• allenl
    15 years ago

I've been having condensation problems with my wolf wall oven since 2004 when I bought it. Its been ongoing back and forth for 4 years with them. They replaced the whole oven and the doors several times. The last time they replaced the door was with the new re-engineered door. I still have condensation same as i did before. Totally unacceptable on a high end product. Why bother having a glass door if its covered with condensation and sometimes to the point of dripping down through the door on to the hardwood! I've got a call into them to see what they are going to do next.