SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
squirrelheaven

Maytag Stack Washer Dryer - Repairs

squirrelheaven
15 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have a Maytag integrated w/d stack unit that's probably about 12 years old. The dryer started making a burning smell and the fire department who checked the source of odor out said it was probably the motor. So, the dryer is broken. The washer portion seems to have gotten stuck on spin a few times during the past year also. Note that my old refrigerator compressor also went, seemingly at the same time/night. So an electrical spike is also suspect. Not sure if that means other parts could have been damaged also.

My understanding is that a motor replacement on the dryer would run a bit over $200, so let's say $300.

My family's usual view of these things, and other things I've read also, pretty much recommend just replacing old appliances. I did read that dryers are usually an easy fix, though.

So, my question is, as a consumer, would you have someone come out to try a repair or just replace the whole thing? I'm thinking this is pretty much at its life expectancy, though. I guess if the whole w/d unit were to run an additional 2-3 years, it would be ok to fix -- and more advanced machines would be likely be available in the future than today. (I'd be getting a piggy back style this time, not integrated. So, hopefully, they could be replaced individually in the future. But replacing is something like $1400.)

Any experience with these things??? Anyone have a Maytag stack that's more than 12 years old? Do they usually last maybe 15 years?

Comments (3)