SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
criticalmass048

Advice on Laser Printers

criticalmass048
15 years ago

I posted a message a few weeks ago about my old Okipage 12i LED laser printer. It seems to have died on me. The print was messing up, and I was unable to fix it. I believe it might be the drum, but I can't be certain.

I purchased it used for $25.00, and got about three years and two toner cartridges worth of use out of it. After seeing that a replacement drum costs upwards of $140.00, I decided to shop for a new printer. When comparing my old printer to current models, I noticed that the 12i specified "LED Laser" and the newer models don't mention "LED". While I know what an LED is, I wonder, are they all LED, or is there something special about this printer? If there is something special, might it be worth fixing as opposed to buying a new one, or is this an outdated technology?

I've done some shopping, and I'm looking at the following models:

BROTHER HL-2140 ($70) 23 ppm, 2400 x 600 dpi

HP 4050-TN (used $125) 17 ppm, 1200 x 1200 dpi

SAMSUNG CLP-315 COLOR, (Reg $199 on sale $149 at OfficeMax.com), 17 ppm, 2400 x 600 DPI

Looking for any advice or repairing the old one or getting a new one. Open to suggestions on other models, especially a good deal! Of primary interest to me is something that will last and low toner-per-page cost. I already have an inkjet MultiFunction, so I don't need the other bells and whistles. If I could get a good price for my old All-in-1, I would get a color laser with Multi-function, but I know I can't, so I won't bother. Color would be nice, but not a necessity.

Thanks!

Comments (3)