SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmhall2000

Avoiding egg on my face....potential tile error...any suggestions

lmhall2000
16 years ago

Okay..don't kill the homeowner here...I went to 3 of the top tile stores in our city and they all told me to do the same thing! One told me to add an extra step in and agreed with a very experienced tile guy (30 years) to put Mapelastic on my blue board before tiling...adding hardibacker or durock would have removed any lip at all on the tub...the blueboard is just something used in bathrooms from what my drywall supplier said...

Here's what has been done...

blue board or green board...everyone says it's the same thing..don't have a name for it but it did run me $15 a board if that helps...on top of studs

2 coats of mapelastic applied..dried for a day

6 inch white tiles and glass tiles put on with a tub of MASTIC that was sold to me by the top tile distributor here.."this is what our subs use for tub surrounds..."

I paid my tile guy to tile the surround (I have a bad back and couldn't manage it..I've tiled the other bathroom floors and have some experience) and I'm going to grout it tomorrow with a non-sanded acrylic added grout....I went online to see if I could find any tips on grouting it since the glass tiles are a hair less thick than the white tiles...and all I find is that mastic should not be used in tub surrounds...albeit I did find 2 or so posts saying they've done it several times and it's lasted years with no slippage...

So, anything I can do now to help my case? Does the mapelastic help prevent the tendency for moisture to make the tiles slip with mastic? I read all about mastic's consistency changing since VOC's were removed..etc...but that the makers say it's safe and recommended for tub surrounds just not shower floors etc...

I'm caulking the tile next to the tub with regular allpurpose caulk..any other product better? Any tips other than cross your fingers and hope you're not repairing it in two years??

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County