SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angie_diy

Bluestar RCS location -- should I pull it out a bit?

angie_diy
12 years ago

My question concerns whether it would be advisable to pull my cabs and range out, say 1.5", away from the wall (and use a commensurably deeper countertop).

Details: I will install an all-gas 30" Bluestar RCS (with upgraded burners) with island trim along an exterior wall. The

recent thread about condensation on the backsplash has me a bit concerned. Further complicating matters, I am planning to install the range in front of a window:

Counters will be soapstone. I plan to use a window stool (most people would colloquially say "sill") made from soapstone, and to tile around the window (i.e., no wood casing). The bottom of the stool will be 39" off the floor, and a Bluestar with island trim comes to 37.25". There will actually be 4 layers of glass between the interior and exterior: a 2-layer thermal pane on the outside, a stained-glass panel in the middle, and a smooth glass interior pane. (The latter two may not be hermetically sealed, so as to avoid a terrarium effect with condensation. Not sure yet.) I have closely read the Bluestar installation requirements, and will extend the backsplash tile downwards by at least 6" (likely down to floor). Hood is a 625 CFM Miele with a short duct run.

It would be fairly easy for me at this point to pull the range and the adjoining cabs out a bit. I was contemplating just using a 2x4, so perhaps pull them out 1.5". (I suppose I will have to use non-combustible brackets to support the 1.5" strip of soapstone behind the range.) The idea is to just get the oven exhaust off the wall/window, to avoid the condensation problem described in the recent post. (Of course, to the negative, I will lose 1.5" of the 19.75" hood projection over the range.)

Do you think pulling the range out is necessary and/or wise? How far do you think would be best? Any problems or issues occur to you? At this point, I am not thinking about using deeper upper cabs, but opinions welcome.

Comments (14)