SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kevin1727

Removing tile from concrete floor

kevin1727
16 years ago

I'm in the process of demolition and I can't get the tile off the floor. I removed tile in another part of the house, which must have been different tile or cement, because I was able to lift entire 18x18 tiles in some places without breaking the tiles. I just used a small chisel and hammer there. When I tried that in the bath, the tile fractured into small pieces and sometimes the surface of the concrete came up with the tile. The cement left after I get the tile up seems to be harder than the concrete. I am creating a mess.

I bought a floor scraper but the blade is too flexible so it can't pry the tile. I found a scraper with a heavier blade, but it is very lightweight and I can't bust through the cement. I found a large heavy bar with a chisel end but it is 6 feet long and I can't maneuver it in the room.

Any suggestions on how to remove the tile? Maybe a recommendation on the proper tool? I seem to need a cross between the two scrapers I bought - heavy with a thick blade. The guys at Ace, Lowes, and HD don't have a clue.

Comments (7)