SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toddimt

Calling All Ventalation/Hood Wizards - Pt1

toddimt
14 years ago

I am working on my kitchen renovation and layout. I am looking at doing custom wood hood with an insert. I am not concerned yet as to which mfg's/styles are recommended (I'll save this for pt2). I am more interested in making sure I plan for proper ventilation.

I am planning on getting a wolf 36" Rangetop with unsealed burners. There will be no built-in griddle or grill. I will use my All Clad griddle when necessary.

What I am unsure of is the appropriate dimensions. While I see some people have done hoods, with inside dimensions equal to the width of the rangetop, so in this case 36", am I correct that it should though be more like 42" wide for an appropriate capture area? What would be the downside if it was left at 36" wide.

How high should the bottom of the hood be off the countertop/rangetop height? I am hearing conflicting information on this. Not sure if my height matters. I am about 6'1" and my wife is around 5'4. I was just looking in the Wolf ventilation guide, for some reference and they show 30-36" off the counter. Is lower better or higher better? Or is this wrong all together?

What about depth of the hood. How far out should it protrude? What is ideal?

Comments (6)