SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chloe_s_mom

Tile reno in main bathroom: what can wait?

chloe_s_mom
14 years ago

We have a new build, but interesting, by code in our area, green board is allowed in wet areas (plywood alone areas such as the ensuite tub deck - which, when used by my enthusiastic DD1, and had insufficient silcone where the tub deck joins the wall, resulting in water coming out a pot light in the kitchen below AND water seeping thru the wall into the master bedroom....).

The main bath is a horribly small (41.5 sqf not including the tub), windowless, upside down L-shaped room. On the bright side, it is new, and has a nice sized vanity and a tiny, but functional tub.

I'd like to do cosmetics on the bathroom, but don't want to do things out of sequence (and have to redo them later), nor put money on cosmetics - ie. beadboard on the wall - when it should be applied to other things - waterproofing.

I'm pretty much resigned to redoing the tiled tub surround bec I want to avoid a bigger problem done the line, right?

But can the floor stay (it is plywood, no idea if it was done well - have read Bill V's FAQs) for a while? For ever? My experience with the master bath tub deck has made me nervous and served as a reminder that water can get thru things. And if we redo the floor at a later time, pls tell me that we can leave the tub in place (don't want to mess up the new tiling in the shower/tub surround by pulling the tub)?

Is the bathroom floor, as installed, a super big deal? Can it be left as is or should we do it first/along with redoing the tiles in the shower/tub surround?

Here are some photos. I don't like the false ceiling over the shower - feels a bit cave like with the tile choice.

Comments (3)