SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redheadeddaughter

Laundry room 10 x 7 too small for a family of 5?

redheadeddaughter
10 years ago

Just wondering if any of the other laundry busy moms here might chime in to share their take on this... while I can still change it. I know there is a laundry room forum, but kind of wanted to get opinions from others doing a new build like me.

I'd like this room to be a place for me to (finally) store my brooms and mops and vacuums and cleaning products in a cabinet. We'll have standard front loaders. I love counter top folding space so I don't really want to stack them. And I'd also like to fit in a small sewing desk by the window. If I don't have a place for my machine... it just doesn't get used. Oh. And pet supplies (dog food, etc.) will be stored here. I don' t think I need a sink. It seems things like towels just get piled up in there. Is that foolish to forego one? I would like a nice stack of shelves for 5 baskets of clothes. All my paper products and TP will be stored here up high. It will (and must) have a window because sunshine makes me happy and I like to sing while I fold laundry. Does anyone else do that?

Will it all fit? Should the entrance be at the short end or the wide end for most useful space planning? Would 1 more foot make a big difference? It's a perfect rectangle with no bumps.

PS I've had lots of laundry rooms much smaller than 10 x 7... so "too small" is relative I know. I'm just wondering if it's worth the effort to fight for that extra space, or if I won't really notice it.

Comments (12)