SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Food Processor - Old Cuisinart, New Cuisinart, Used Robot Coupe?

John Liu
13 years ago

I am thinking about getting a Cuisinart food processor.

I see that the old ones, that were made in France by Robot Coupe, and the not-quite-as-old ones made in Japan, can be found on eBay and elsewhere for rather less than a new Cuisinart.

Being a sucker for old stuff - vintage, if you will - I wanted to ask if there is any reason to prefer a 1970s Cuisinart, a later one, or a brand new one. Were the old ones built better, more solid, better blades, more metal, or anything like that? Did the old ones have less safety interlocks (less would be good, as far as I'm concerned). Are the new ones better designed, did they fix weak spots?

I also suspect that if I hunted long enough, I could maybe find a used Robot Coupe for a price that is not prohibitive, though still a heck of a lot more than a Cuisinart. I realize Robot Coupe makes many different models, but in general what is the advantage, if any, for a home cook? This may sound silly, but isn't the opaque bowl of most Robot Coupes an inconvenience? You can't see what consistency the food has achieved.

Planned use: I'd like to use this to shred potatoes and vegetables when I need a lot, to julienne (matchstick) veggies, to cut french fries, and to fine dice (small cubes, brunoise) if it can do that. To chop meat. I don't own a stand mixer, so the food processor will be used for any dough tasks that it can manage. As well as emulsions, sauces, pesto, nuts, etc. Hopefully it will be the last food processor I buy.

I have a 20 year old Braun now, which still works fine, but it only has a couple of blades, no ability to julienne or dice. And it is rather light duty - last time I made lobster bisque, I tried to grind up the shells and my Braun could barely turn.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments (129)