SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sara101101

Help! Faucet too close to backsplash?

Sara_in_philly
14 years ago

The fabricator came over to template the bathrooms and kitchen yesterday and something I didn't expect happened: the clearance between the faucet base and backsplash is only going to be 1/8 ".

Here are the details:

The granite countertop is 82" X 22 1/2 "(1 1/2 overhang), sinks are Kohler bancroft inside 17X14 (19 3/8" X 16 3/16 outside), faucets are Delta Lahara(wide spread)with a 2 1/4 " base. the granite is 1 1/4" thick so the backsplash is 1 1/4" thick.

According to the fabricator, the 21" deep base cabinet, 17X14 sink and 2 1/4" base faucets are all pretty standard size. Can the 1/8" clearance be really standard? Has any one run into this problem before?

My questions are:

1)Is 1/8" or even 1/4 clearance acceptable? ( I really don't like it.)

2)Is there something the fabricator can do to increase the clearance?

3)Is 1 1/4" backsplash too thick?( thinner backsplash is not an option.) Can I use a ring of tile (2 to 4" height) instead to gain extra 3/4" clearance?

4)If I use tile as backsplash now, when I redo the shower, tub, and floor later (maybe a couple of years later), do they have to match the backsplash on countertop? How easy or hard is it to replace the title backsplash without damaging the granite countertop?

Please help!! In the mean time I try to control myself and not to panic:-)

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida