SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flseadog

totally freaked out---wobble in glass shower panel

flseadog
13 years ago

Oh boy, do I need help! I stopped the installers from finishing the installation of our glass shower door because I was getting so scared. Tell me if I have something to worry about here. All of the glass for the shower is 3/8" thick. The door is 28" x 72". It is hinged to a 14" wide panel that runs from shower curb to shower ceiling and is approx. 84" high. This panel is secured with two clips at both the top and bottom.

When the the door swings the glass panel to which it is attached wobbles. For instance, when the door is swung into the shower, the center portion of the panel deflects about 1/4" to the outside. When the door is swung out of the shower, the center portion of the panel deflects about 1/4" to the inside of the of shower. Also, I can just nudge the fixed panel near the center and cause the entire assembly to wobble slightly. The installer claims this is completely normal and not in any way a safety hazard. Does this sound right?

Because they could tell how freaked out I was the company made several suggestions on how to stop the wobble. 1.) Install another clip on the vertical side near the center of the panel. Because another hole cannot be drilled into the glass, this clip would just secure the panel by pressure, sort of like a vise. The major drawback to this is that the clip would not be the same visually as the top and bottom clips. 2.) Run a silicone caulk along the vertical on either one or both sides of the glass. The major drawback of this according to the installer is that certain types of mold can grow inside the silicone and become very unsightly.

Other possible solutions I am wondering about include: 1.) ordering a completely new panel that is 1/2" thick in the hopes that this would be more sturdy for attaching the 3/8" door to; 2.) ordering a completely new panel with either one or two new drillings on the vertical side for attaching clips that would match the top and bottom clips; 3.) ordering a completely new panel that would be attached to the wall, ceiling and curb with a metal channel all around. At this point I would consider the new panel my Christmas gift to myself for my peace of mind.

I am open to all suggestions and opinions on this. Since this is a family/guest bath I really don't want a situation that could be a potential hazard. Thanks for reading through all of this and I appreciate all your help.

Comments (8)