SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phaedrus29

How best to size the toilet closet in our bathroom remodel?

phaedrus29
9 years ago

Hi, we are at the early stages of planning a bathroom remodel...very exciting but also a lot to figure out. We currently have our toilet tucked next to a closet, with a short wall of glass blocks in front...we would like to close off the space creating a "closet" room for the toilet. Here is a pic showing the current setup:

Currently, the width of that space is 41" (from side wall to closet) and the depth from the back wall to the inside of the glass blocks is 66". I was thinking that we should use a pocket door, but I'm hoping we don't lose much of any closet space. (It's a walk-in closet with short shelves on that side of the closet and deep ones on the other side.)

I'm unsure how we should put the wall that will be in the place of the glass blocks. Part of the issue is that the window there is recessed about 22" into the wall. Here's a pic showing the window (the glass blocks on the left side of the pic are from the shower, which will be replaced with a glass shower):

One option I can think of is to put the toilet closet wall flush with the inside of the window. But will it look to weird to have the window sort of in a corner? Or, we could move the wall in more toward the toilet, which I think would make the window look more normal (with wall space on both sides)...but I'm not sure we should give up any depth from the toilet closet.

Any thoughts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Here is a rough sketch of our planned bathroom layout (sorry for the rough drawing and pic):

Our plans include retiling the floor and walls by the shower (up to the ceiling), doing a shower bench, niche, and two showerheads, removing the huge drop-in tub and going with a freestanding one, etc. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

Comments (37)