SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dknipe

Building a home on a wooded lot? Take heed.

Sidney4
12 years ago

As I sit here I am listening to the sound of chain saws outside my window. They are removing one of four large over-story trees in my front yard that have died since we moved in a year ago. When we bought this lot it had so many trees I thought, even after we cleared away trees for the build,we would still have plenty to spare. We are losing trees at such an alarming rate that I wondered if we weren't experiencing some sort tree killing epidemic. We called in an arborist and he said it is all most likely caused by construction. I feel awful that we have inadvertently destroyed these beautiful 75- 100 year old trees.....some thing the arborist said could have been avoided had we taken precaution before the building process began. He also warned that we could see a lot more loss over the next couple of years. For those of you building on wooded lots, I hope you can learn from my mistakes and take extra measures to insure your trees are being protected during the building process. Casual assurances from your builder that they will avoid the trees isn't enough.

Even if you are not a big lover of trees , there are plenty of economic reasons to prevent tree loss due to construction and compaction. We paid a premium for this lot because of the mature trees. Now we're paying a tidy sum of money to have them cut down ground up and hauled away...... especially since they are close to house and require special care in the removal process. Next week we are paying a landscaper to come in and plant new trees. We could probably plant smaller/ younger specimens ourselves but I'd like to have trees with some scale in our yard in my lifetime. It all adds up to a lot of money that could have been saved had we just done our home work.

The arborist told us that new home owners can see tree loss for up to 5 years after the building process. I'm curious to hear from others who have built on wooded lots. What did you do to protect mature trees and how successful were you?.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths