SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
volgal_gw

Zone 3 Insulation Questions

VolGal
11 years ago

I am a first time poster, but long time reader of the forum. My husband and I are making final changes to our plan and hope to start the build soon. We really want to have a tight home that is as energy efficient as we can afford. We live on the edge of zone 3 - twenty minutes to the north would be zone four. We have printed and reviewed building sciences "the perfect wall," as well as many of the very knowledgable posts on this board.

Here's the preliminary plan: 2x6 advanced framing technique with blown in fiberglass, foam around windows and penetrations, and zip sheathing on the main and second floor and roof. For the walkout basement, Logix ICF's. Our main questions at this point are (1) What type of insulation in the attic? We know foam is much more expensive, should we put our money elsewhere? (2) what type of and how much insulation below the concrete in the basement? We are staining the concrete and it will be used frequently as a living space. (3) do we need foam board on the outside and if so how much? We plan on sealing well and doing two blower door tests as has been recommended on here. Let me know if any more details are necessary. Sorry in advance for my relative ignorance on the subject!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals