SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
skrepka_gw

I need suggestions, don't know where to start.

skrepka
16 years ago

Hi,

I am new here and I can use all the help I can get.

Here is the situation. We will be buying our first house later this year and will be remodelling kitchen in there right away (the area we will be buying doesn't have any remodelled kitchens, or at least remodelled to my taste).

Anyway, I want to start researching appliances so we can get an idea on the budget but I just don't know where to start.

We will be needing gas stove/range, a range hood, dishwasher, refrigerator, washer and dryer, and possibly a microwave.

We are on a tight budget, so we are definitely not going with the top of the line. However, I don't even know where the prices are in the mid-range or the low-range.

I was wondering if I list what I am looking for in appliances if people can make suggestions of brands/models with approximate prices so that we can at least get an idea of where the prices are what price bracket we might want to go with. Also, if our budget will allow we would like to get all stainless, however, we don't have to have it. White or black will be fine as well.

Anyhow, here it goes...

Refrigerator - we have been to a few stores (Sears and such) and decided that we like French door with freezer on the bottom. Now the problem is regarding the ice/water on the door. DH wants both, but I am concerned that it might take too much room in the fridge. Going with water only doesn't make sense to me. We drink a lot of water but are very very picky about the taste. Also, we like to mix flavours into our gallon jugs of water, so getting a glass of water form the fridge door is really not solving the issue. We might continue getting jugs from the store anyway. But the ice is the problem. Can we get the ice only on the fridge door, but without the water? We need ice, but I am concerned that the fridge may not keep up with our demand for it.

Stove/range - OK, this one is tricky. I know nothing about these. I really really like the look of some high end once I have seen posted on the kitchen forum, but I cannot afford those. So, here is what I need. I need at least 4 burners. I would like one very powerful burner so I can make proper stir-fry's. I think I might want an electric oven because I hear that they are better at maintaining temperatures. However, I don't bake except for some cupcakes from a box for DD's school. But I do use the oven for meat and vegetable meals. I don't know if electric makes as much difference for those.

Range hood - I never had a range hood before, only the vents that recirculation air back in the kitchen. I don't even know what futures these have and what is important here. I would want to have a hood that will properly vent the range I will eventually choose.

Dishwasher - Same here. I never had a dishwasher before. I just need to wash the dishes for a family of 4. I am not sure how important the noise issue will be to me. I think I will run it late in the evening or at night. Anyway, not a clue here.

Microwave - my mom has some fancy micro with tons of functions and buttons. I don't like them. I have a regular micro that was bought for $60 eight years ago. The only button I use is the Minute Plus button. So, I don't need any functions in the micro, but I think I will want one that I can hand under the upper kitchen cabinet.

Washer - This has to be a front loader. Since we currently do laundry in the public laundromat down the street my laundry routine is to get as much as I can into the machine and wash it. I don't sort laundry other then my work close. We don't do separate white loads. Anyway, I am picturing that once I have my own washer I will want to do separate loads of towels/sheets. Other then that, I don't anticipate many changes. I don't need lots of functions, but high capacity machine would get great.

Dryer - I need to dry clothes that came out of the washer. I need to be able to dry my work clothes on the low heat. That's it.

So, if anybody is still with me and is willing to offer any suggestions (with approximate prices please) I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Skrepka

Comments (12)