SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

frame, concrete, hvac questions - help!

bridget helm
10 years ago

We just got the total for what our builder thinks the house will cost to build, and it's about 80,000 more than we expected. I can switch my counters in kitchen from quartzite to something else and there are a few other small things i can do to cut a FEW thousand.

The following things I know NOTHING about, so be patient with me. I want a good structurally sound house, but I think that maybe some of the things he wants to do may be high end structural stuff, for lack of a better term. Again, this stuff may be standard, but I got the impression that it isn't. Please shed some light on this for me.

He listed 3000 mix concrete for driveway and our driveway 12 feet wide. Is there something a little cheaper than whatever 3000 mix concrete is? Our driveway is 70 feet long. Also, can't we have just an 11 foot wide driveway

For the foundation he listed 3000PSI mix and post tension. I'm assuming that's "standard"....again I know nothing about this. He wrote that the foundation will be engineered by a third party?? A soil test has already been done and all is fine.

For the framing, he listed Tech Shield OSB roof decking 1/2" and 1/2" OSB wall sheating. Again, totally Greek to me

For the roof, he gave an architectural shingle allowance of 83/sf. Any recommendation on architectural shingles that are less expensive, but still "good"? He also talked about and listed a synthetic felt underlayment. Is that necessary? Is that expensive?

For plumbing, he listed PEX water supply lines. Is that standard?

HVAC is Lennox 14 seer --Standard or fancy??

I see R-6 flex duct. I'm not sure if that goes with the roof stuff or the HVAC stuff (it's on a different page all alone and I got the pages mixed up)

For Insulation, I see the following Greek:
blown loose fill in attics R30
blown fierglass in exterior walls that are backed
Open non backed exterior walls R15 HD batt
R19 under decked area in attic
R30 in bonus ceiling slopes
r30 between floors for sound
r30 between cold floors
r13 interior sound proofing on plumbing walls and privacy walls foam around windows/exterior doors and fire foam top plate

Is ALL of that insulation necessary? that seems like a lot of insulation, no??

All windows to be trimmed with mitered stool and apron and vinyl windows (the sides and back) to have wood jambs built on site. Wood jambs built on site sounds expensive. Is that necessary? What is that?

I want all my cabinets painted - no stain. So he listed paint grade, but then he listed "every door is to be true 5 PC construction no MDF CNC cut doors."

I don't mind MDF since I'm painting them, so what does true 5 PC construction mean?? The allowance for cabinets is 19,250. That seems high. The house is only 2600sf living and we don't have an outdoor kitchen or garage or storage room builtins and I'm only using inseam cabinets in the kitchen with flush doors. The rest I told him shaker style. I didn't ask for lazy susans or any fancy pull out shelves, maybe he assumed I would want that? I don't see any other particulars listed about the cabinets, but 19,250 seems high so I'm guessing the cabinet guy made some assumptions??

The rest of the stuff I understand. Can y'all see any areas where we could scale back from the things I listed? I am not comfortable going over this much. Should a 2600sf house really cost 415,000 to build? The lot was 117,000, so total 532,000. We expected to max out at 450 total.

Many thanks!

Comments (15)