SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
effinger_gw

Newly installed shower a crushing disappointment

Effinger
10 years ago

Hi all!

My wife and I recently purchased our first house and decided that while we're renovating anyway, to have the nasty fiberglass tub in the master bath taken out and instead have a nice walk-in shower installed.

We hired a contractor after talking to him at length, seeing loads of reference pictures and even calling some of his former clients. To the best of our knowledge we had hired a skilled person for the job.

We picked the tiles (bathroom floor, shower floor and shower wall), and the contractor quoted us a price of roughly $2,000.00 for what he called a turnkey solution.

Yesterday then he called stated that they were done, and if we could stop by the house (we don't live there yet) to take a look and pay the remainder of our bill.

We stopped by the house while they were still finishing up (wiping floors and such), saw the tile work from a few feet away, and at first glance everything *looked* just fine. We paid the outstanding balance and the contractor was on his way.

Now we were finally free to take a closer look, and within minutes our excitement turned into crushing disappointment. Chipped tiles, tile spacers left in the grout, crooked tile cuts, edges as sharp as a knife, tiles overlapping by almost half a centimeter in places, uneven joint widths throughout, and as the cherry on top, the tile surrounding the shower pipe is cracked straight through.

See photo of our shower at the end of this post: Each of the pink post-its in the photo below marks a spot where tiles overlap by at least 2-3mm, are chipped, extremely uneven joint widths, or tiles that are simply set crooked.

I'll add a couple more photos with brief explanations as replies to this post.

We called the contractor within half an hour of him leaving our house and mentioned that there were quite a few things we weren't happy with - he offered to stop by next week to discuss what may be done to remedy the situation.

I've done a little bit of DIY-tiling a few years ago, so I have a decent enough idea of what can be done with tiles, and what kind of result I thought I could expect.

To you experts - does the work shown above conform to what you would consider your professional standards? In other words - would you consider this a job well done? We feel utterly helpless at this point and have no clue whether we were expecting unrealistic levels of craftsmanship?

Any tips on how we should deal with this situation would be greatly appreciated! :)

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living