SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Vanity width for powder room

Tmnca
10 years ago

We have a powder room in our condo which is being restored due to water damage from a neighboring unit. The bathroom is stripped to studs on one wall, flooring is out and the vanity had to be disposed of due to water damage.

I'm hoping to find something all-in-one to speed things up, our bathroom has been out of commission for over 2 months already. Also the cost will have to be approved by the HOA, so needs to be reasonable replacement cost.

The room is 52" wide and the existing vanity top was 51" wall to wall with side splashes, the flooring did not extend under the vanity, but as the flooring was removed as well, we will have it installed all the way to the wall this time to allow for different configurations.

It is very difficult to find an all-in-one vanity unit 51". There are 48" vanities which would leave an inch and a half of space on either side which would seem to look odd - the space between the cabinet and wall could be filled with trim but there would be I think too much space between the countertop and wall to cover with a sidesplash.

Of course we could go down to 36" and have more significant space on the sides so it would look purposeful, but possibly still odd?

The storage from a cabinet is very useful in this townhouse so a pedestal sink or open vanity would not be ideal, but maybe it would look better.

What do you think I should do here, any creative suggestions?

Our home was built in 1980 and originally "1980 contemporary mismash" but our style is more transitional/traditional and I'd prefer to avoid something too modern looking, but I also do not want fussy, curved, etc.

The flooring is a mid tone brown vinyl "wood" plank, and the walls are BM mascarpone.

This is what it looked like before the water damage:

This is a 48" vanity I like, see Costco link below.

I have also found "ready to assemble 48" vanity I like (also comes in 36"), which would require a separate countertop. Mocha Shaker Bathroom Vanities

These are 49" vanities, that means there would be exactly 1" on each side of the countertop, could that be covered or filled without looking strange? Foremost Gazette 49 in. Vanity in Espresso with Golden Hill Granite Top with Single Bowl

Foremost Ashburn 49 in. x 22 in. Vanity with Right Drawers in Mahogany with Granite Top in Beige

I could go with a much smaller vanity and have about 10" on both sides. This one is 30" wide and it is about as far towards contemporary as I would want to go White Porcelain Single Vanity

For a better fit I guess I" d="" have="" to="" buy="" a="" separate="" cabinet="" and="" custom="" top,="" which="" usually="" side="" splashes="" available="" help="" cover="" up="" the="" space?=""

I am trying to get a contractor out to take a look but so far none of them were interested in this very small job. ="">

Here is a link that might be useful: Costco Mission Hills

This post was edited by tinan on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 12:52

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living