SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rob63_gw

What type of person do you need to be to GC your home?

rob63
15 years ago

After my experience questioning about existing home prices to new construction, it set me to thinking about the possibility of being my own GC. While the idea of saving money is nice, my main reason for considering this is the amount of control I would have over the process. I'm just not the type of person who will spend $250K and accept that I won't have complete and absolute control over what is happening. While it may be none of my business in a fixed price contract as to how the builder figures his profit, I will be sitting there all the time wondering if he is screwing me because he won't tell me how much he spends on material. It may be "the way things are done" but it's not something I feel comfortable with. Plus, for every good contractor out there, it seems there are about four or five who, while not crooks, are people I don't want to deal with. I know the arguments against it..."I can get a better price than you" or "The subs will not want to work with you or give you their best price because you will give them only one job while I keep them employed" and it's not something I immediately dismiss out of hand. However, I also know that enough people have done this and have been satisfied with the outcome to make those arguments not true in many cases.

So to those of you who have done this, what type of temperment do you need to have to do this? Would you do it over again? Given the choice, would you hire a consultant or do everything yourself?

Thanks

Rob

Comments (50)