SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renegadecd

Odor with Induction range?

renegadecd
9 years ago

We are remodeling and all search engine questions have led me here for amazing tips so I finally decided to join.

My father sells appliances and he strongly suggested that instead of putting in a propane line/tank and finally (FINALLY) realizing my dream of a gas cooktop, I should seriously consider an induction range. The pros and cons lists online are convincing, so I borrowed a single burner to try out. I am not willing to invest in a stove without trying out the technology.

I've used it twice so far and I am not impressed with the power, but that may be lacking since its just a portable single burner?

And also, there is a very distinct, nauseating smell of what I can only describe as hot magnets. Reminds me of walking into one of those computer data type rooms circa 1985. (anyone know what i mean?) It's a warm metallic smell that sort of gives me a headache.

So
1). Does anyone know what I am talking about and has experienced this with an induction cooktop? I'm wondering if this is something that goes away?

2) Are these maybe only a problem for the single portable burners? Perhaps the real range does not have these drawbacks.

3) Fan noise. Again does this happen on a full size induction range? Because it does on the single burner and I don't prefer it.

Now I find myself leaning back towards propane/dual fuel. Either way I go, I am considering an Electrolux slide in with baking drawer.

Thank you!
Renee

Comments (14)