SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artsyfartsymom

help shower leaked and I have tile questions

artsyfartsymom
16 years ago

I need some feed back...bought this house in sept. and just noticed the "master bath" shower stall which is all tile floor to ceiling even the ceiling is tiled...(drain is not centered in the shower floor, not to mention the shower stall area is 48 wide and 30 deep so the perfab shower liner things will not work... since noticing the wet carpet in the closet which is next to the shower stall, oh and my house is on a slab) lowes said to remove the floor tiles in the shower stall and check the membrane for cracks and such...lol...I took up the tiles which most popped right out... and there was what looked like wet sand under the tiles...I'm now wondering how do I go about removing the sandy mortor, and if I find the membrane has failed which I'm sure it has, will I have to gut the entire shower? someone said I might have to just go up the wall about 3 or 4 tiles to put a new membrane in the house was built in 1964...I know I will not be able to match this tile and the entire bathroom is covered in this tile so there is the idea that I could use a contrasting tile...another question pertaining to that are... could I also take out a row or two further up on the walls to match the tiles I have to use to replace the ones I take out around the base of the shower? I'm not sure if this even makes any sence? HELP! I need some feed back be for go any further!!

Comment (1)