SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bblueskye

Honed marble in a kids' bathroom?

bblueskye
12 years ago

I've been reading the forums here for a bit and this is my first posting. We are in the process of completely re-doing the master bath and my kids' bath in our house and I could really use some advice. I love the look of honed marble countertops in bathrooms but I've heard that marble is not a great idea in kids bathrooms due to the upkeep. My boys are 4 and 5 years old, so still young (and messy). I was hoping someone could give me some BTDT (been there done that) advice on whether or not I should go with marble in their bathroom.

To step back a bit, both bathrooms are long and narrow and the boys bathroom has no window, so I want to keep it light. I really don't love the look of highly polished countertops, so my options feel limited. Most of the prefab countertops are polished, so those seem to not be an option. But if I go with a slab, (due to cost reasons) we'd need to use the same material for both bathrooms. I'd really love marble in ours, but that would mean putting it in the boys' room too. The other material I'm considering is Chroma in Brushed tempest, but that is a much darker material.

Some additional details... The vanities are both white (about 74" long by 20" deep) and I was going to do white ceramic subway tiles in the boys bathroom with blue glass tile accents. We'll have a single sink on each vanity (kohler ladena) and polished chrome faucets (kohler marvaux, I think).

Comments (21)