SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gringo50

win98se ie6sp1

gringo50
14 years ago

I've an older home built computer running the above mentioned os. For the last longest ie goes online and navigates well. I can minimize to taskbar and work on files in win explorer or ms word or whatever. I can then go back on the internet and navigate as I please. When I'm finished and ready to close the page and shut down then the trouble starts.

I close out, select the start button, no response, hourglass appears and stays that way for a full minute before I can proceed. This happens every time I go online using ie.

Because of this, sometime back, I installed firefox and it works great, no problems shutting down from there. I prefer ie because firefox has some limitations.

I've searched the internet, many forums and Googled all over the place and found no exact post or entry.

Any of you still running win98?

Comments (13)

• marooma
    14 years ago

I have Windows 98SE on a triple-boot system with Windows 2000 and Windows XP. You might try to do a repair of Internet Explorer by going to control panel, add/remove programs. Double-click on Internet Explorer and Internet Tools. You should get a pop-up menu with one option being repair Internet Explorer. After running that, reboot, and see if the problem is fixed.
    Sometimes when you install/uninstall programs newer files are replaced by older ones that ocassionally cause problems with Internet Explorer. HTH.

Terry

• DA_Mccoy
    14 years ago

I mean this with great respect, Win98 is passe. If anyone can say that I can as I finally replaced my good old reliable Win98 two years ago with a new Vista system. In fact, I still have another Win98 in the garage.

I changed for various reasons, but one was the demand on the system with its minimal RAM. You can shut down an application, but though it appears to be done it can actually be running up to another minute before closing.

I am comfortable in saying your issue is resource orientated.

Finally, I am wondering what you have running in the background which may use up limited resources.

DA

• gringo50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Terry, I only have one listing in add/remove programs.

Internet Explorer Q822925

With a dbl. clk., I get a pop up labeled:
    Internet Explorer Update saying:
    Invalid INF file

////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    Hi DA, I realize it's an outdated os. Just having a little fun with it. A learning process, if you get the jist.
    Did you notice that I mentioned in my original post that Firefox works and doesn't have this ie problem?

Thanks to you both for your response.

• marooma
    14 years ago

Try this next. Go to start, run, type in "msinfo32.exe" without the quotes. Click ok. On the tools menu, select Internet Explorer repair tool. After repair, reboot. HTH.

Terry

• gringo50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Terry, I followed the proceedure but it didn't solve the prob. Do you think if I ran the system disc without reformatting, it might clear up the prob? That is, without loosing my info?

• marooma
    14 years ago

Before you do anything as drastic as an over-the-top installation, if you haven't run System File Checker, I think that's worth a try. Go to start, run, type in "SFC" without the quotes, click ok, and allow Windows 98 to repair the files. HTH.

Terry

• gringo50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Terry, Thanks, I'll give it a try. Right now it is defragging and at 76% complete. In safe mode and have been running since 9AM. had to disable screen saver early on and start over. I'll keep you advised.

• DA_Mccoy
    14 years ago

The difference between success and failure could still be the browsers. IE is more intensive on resources than FF.

If you feel like experimenting do a C-A-D and end everything but Explorer and System Tray. Then try IE and shutdown.

What brand is the system? HP at one time had a sound driver/Win98 conflict with shutdown.

You might want to try the Windows 98 Help search word "troubleshoot" (sans quotes). Without going out to the garage to verify, my recollection is there is a Startup and Shutdown troubleshooter in Win98.

Also, my recollection is SFC will identify changed and corrupt files, but unless you can find the specific file in the Windows .inf folder you will need a Win98 disk to extract it from to repair.

All over the map here, just trying to come up with an answer.

DA

• gringo50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Terry, I've defragmented, run scan disc, and SFC as per your suggestion. SFC did indicate a corrupted file (setupx.dll). I inserted my system disc and satisfied SFC.
    Still no help.

DA, I'm aware that some motherboards did have a shutdown problem early on. Another computer I had upgraded to SE did have a shutdown prob. but it wasn't the same symptoms as this one. I'll try the CAD and get back. Thanks.

• gringo50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

DA, The sys brand is a home built. I did CAD but had to end task individually on about five items and attempt to shutdown to no avail. Thanks. Tomorrow is another day. Good Day.

• cat_ky
    14 years ago

Gringo, this is a known issue with windows 98SE. Microsoft issued a update for it. Below is a link for you to read, and locate the download. Good Luck Cat

Oh, and by the way, I still love my old Windows 98SE, even though, I have both XP and Vista.

Here is a link that might be useful: Microsoft update for win 98SE shut down issue

• cat_ky
    14 years ago

Here is the link for the download. Good Luck

Here is a link that might be useful: shutdown supplement patch

• gringo50
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Cat, actually shutdown is not the issue. It is ie6sp1 hanging for one minute when I come off the internet just before going to start or any other function such as opening files,etc. I can minimize my online page to the task bar and work other areas as usual. It's just that if I close internet explorer, I can do nothing for one minute. As I stated above, Firefox does not give this problem.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!