SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tahiti47_gw

Construction Management Question

tahiti47
13 years ago

I originally posted this in the remodeling forum as it relates to a remodel, but since this forum deals with a lot more contractor questions I figured I would post it over here. (Is there anyway to delete posts so I don't have it cross posted?)

We are in the midst of architectural planning for a large renovation/addition of a home we just purchased (first home so we are new to the process). One issue that came up was how we want to engage a general contractor, whether it be through a bidding process or through construction management (what I'll call cost plus).

I understand the trade offs between cost plus and a fixed bid but one thing I can't seem to get around is how do you evaluate between general contractors? I would of course check references and look at their past projects, but how do I know if one would be twice the cost of the other. I know I'll have visibility into the "plus" portion for each contractor but I won't be able to tell how expensive their subs are or anything of that nature. Do you get non-binding estimates from each general contractor that you are evaluating, if so how valuable is that?

Thanks.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH