SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
koshka2_gw

Andersen Series 400 or Series 100

koshka2
13 years ago

We are trying to decide whether to pay the extra for Andersen Series 400 windows or not on the house we will build.

We are in Texas, house will be 1 story, about 2500 sf. The builder's standard windows are Silverline. The Series 100 is an additional about $4500. We are sure we will at least do this.

The next option is Series 400 (Tilt wash, not woodwright). That is about another $6500 more than the Series 100.

I'm not at all sure this is worth it.

To be clear, I'm sure that the Series 400 is a better window than the Series 100. However, I don't necessarily want to pay for best or better if the alternative is adequate.

I would be willing to pay for the Series 400 if one of two situations was present:

1. The Series 400 would vastly increase the energy efficiency leadings to a payback of the $6500 within a relatively short period of time. The climate here is warm (at or near 100 in the summer). Winter is usually relatively mild. I'm not sure we get enough savings in energy cost to make it worth $6500 extra for the Series 400.

2. If the Series 100 is unreliable and will likely cause damage to the house or need to be replaced vastly sooner than the Series 400.

I am not that concerned about the aesthetics of the 2 sets of windows or the fact that the Series 400 is double hung versus the Series 100 being single hung. I would sort of prefer the Series 400 but not sure I prefer it $6500 worth.

Comments (33)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!