SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
autumn_4_gw

Mudroom Locker Ideas?

autumn.4
10 years ago

Background: family of 4 plus one large dog. Do not entertain often. There is a space for guest coats off the front entrance/foyer.

Locker Space: 8 1/2' x 6'5"

There is room for 3 ~25.67" cubbies on one side and another 25.67" cubby on the other making one for each of us. On the side with the single cubby that leaves about 4'3" for ????

Any ideas on that 4' space? I'd rather not make 6 cubbies if there is something better I could do with that space. Any creative ideas? I could make a counter there and ? or I could store dog food there? I feel like there must be something more useful I could do.

I need to get a rough idea to the guys that are doing our built ins but I'm just not sure about that 4'.

Here is the layout:

Here is my 'inspiration' picture. I think doing 'open' cubbies (no formal separation or doors) would be more flexible and less expensive. Because there is a door to the area itself and it's not easily visible from the other parts of the house it should be fine that way. The plan is to use the hooks for current season jackets/coats and back packs/purses. Area under the bench would be for shoes.

Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have!

Comments (32)

• Spottythecat
    10 years ago

I vote for the open system...that way, larger items aren't squeezed into a cubby/locker. I am doing something similar to your photo...lots of hooks and a bench to sit on to put shoes on...I also added outlets against the wall for charging laptops overnight...they can sit on the bench and charge. My bench is a little more shallow.

We are using old chicago brick on the floor.

Our wall of lockers is 8 feet long.

Love your inspiration...I think I have the same one saved!

Good luck,
    Pam

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

I don't know remember your floor plan or where to find it, but do you have - or need - a dedicated space for vacuum(s), broom, swiffer, bona etc? If you're doing a whole house vacuum system that may not be an issue for you. In my current house, my mudroom/laundry room has the open hooks double stacked, like a 2 tier hanging system in a closet. High hooks for my husband and me, lower hooks for when our kids were young. Now they're out of the house and I get the low hooks. I also keep my vacuums in there but they are not closed off because it's a really small space. Next house - closed vacuum storage.

• Related Discussions

Mudroom locker - doors??

Q

Comments (3)
    We built a 6' x 12' mudroom in some excess garage space we had a few years ago and opted to do lockers (which we call 'cubbies')with doors. I was sick of seeing my dining room table heaped with school backpacks, lunchboxes and jackets constantly - which is what started the mudroom idea - but I also figured I wanted the mudroom to look tidy, so we went with doors. Even if the lockers are jam-packed with all of our gear, I can close them off to hide it all and I really like that. Gives me an inner peace not to have to actually SEE the clutter all the time. As for the kids being too lazy to open the doors - that only rarely happens but we also installed "shoe drawers" below each locker and I've noticed my kids almost always step out of their shoes and leave them on the floor in front of their shoe drawer. Drives me nuts. The drawer is right there in front of them! Can't figure it out...but I still recommend doors on lockers/cubbies! It certainly added to the cost, but I think it was worth it...
    ...See More

Mudroom / Lockers / Etc

Q

Comments (9)
    5' is not enough for 4 lockers. I would absolutely keep the coat closet. Do you have front loading machines? Will the machines have a folding counter above? I would eliminate all the counterspace next to the sink in favor of a broom closet next to the sink - cabinetry would be fine but a built in closet would work too. I think most people have more than one coat and lockers are really a one coat deal - the one you wear most often. In the 5 foot space you could do hooks and a seat. I like the ones with the sliding hooks and two layers of them. That would easily cover 2 kids, lunchboxes, gym bags, coats, brief cases, etc. I wouldn't lose the coat closet for the lockers. We have both and I think we will use them both extensively.
    ...See More

Please tell me how to light mudroom lockers

Q

Comments (12)
    Hi Davidtay, Thanks for your reply. The depth of each locker is 25 inches and width is 25 inches too. The total dimensions of the mudroom, including the lockers, is 11 feet 5 inches deep and 9 feet 3.5 inches wide. (for the narrowest part). I think your idea to rough in lighting for the actual lockers is spot on. We will do that for sure. The cost to switch from roughed in pots to rough in for fixtures will only cost an hour of labour so not a big cost if fixtures would light the space better than the pots. Do you think fixtures would light the space better than pots (ceilings are 8 foot)? We are happy to use the Cree series if that works as well as fixtures. The current roughed in pots are 4 inch. Thanks! Carol
    ...See More

Is this mudroom locker bench usable?

Q

Comments (11)
    nidnay - That is another good idea! A partially closed cabinet. As I thought about it more, I realized that if I was doing formal entertaining then I'd clean out the lockers anyway and put the coats and shoes where they actually belong, so maybe having doors on the lockers really isn't necessary at all. herbflavor - Oh he's going to be very busy very soon! lol, though this will have to wait until the rest of the kitchen is done because my fridge is currently in this spot. I have to figure it out before I can finalize the island plan though. I'm really liking your freestanding chair/bench idea and lockers on the door side wall, because I could stack them and put two wide lower ones for the kids and two high ones for the grownups and get that bench out of the way if we had some kind of gathering where we didn't want congestion there. Maybe some high wall storage on the 4' wall for other gear that seems to end up on my kitchen floors periodically like soccer and swim bags, or my husbands bow because if he's going to practice with it, it MUST be kept by the back door. {insert eye-roll}
    ...See More
  • illinigirl
    10 years ago

how about a message center? space for a magnetic dry erase board, counter for charging, perhaps space for mail/bills/paper recycling, keys, etc. i don't know how much of those things you are going to have in your home office so maybe that would be redundant.

Are you going to have space for your kids lunch boxes near the cubbies or in the kitchen/pantry?

I haven't thought much about my locker area yet. I was thinking closed doors to keep everything hidden but I do like the flexibility of the open space with the bench to sit. Are you going with painted or stained cabinetry for your locker (and is this going to match your kitchen cabs?)

I like your inspiration picture!

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the insights! I would NEVER say it out loud to DH but I think I have more room than I know what to do with in a couple places. ;)

spotty(what a cute name)-I am planning on charging in the office space but I should think for the future where the kids might end up having their own laptops. Right now we have one and they have limited use of it. So if we multiply that we will need more charging spaces.

dlm-there is that large closet right across from the locker area. I was thinking of brooms and that sort of 'stuff' in there along with bulky winter coats for dh and I and other winter gear - winter is quite long here. I am feeling quite spoiled with all of this space. I just want to make good and organized use of it. No whole house vacuum system for us. We will have all tile/hardwoods on the main level and carpet up the stairs and in the boys bedrooms up there. I do have a vacuum, steam mop and the like that I will need to store.

illinigirl-the office space is primarily mine - so I can keep all of our school/church/mail-bills off of the kitchen counter where they have lived for years due to lack of dedicated space. I will also have our shredder, printer, laptop charging, calculator and all of that stuff in there too. I would prefer to keep it mostly mine so things don't walk away if you know what I mean. It's hard keeping 4 calendars up!

I was just thinking about lunch boxes and their home this morning. I am undecided - pantry is huge and could easily keep them but there is space by lockers too. Hmmm. That might be one of those live with it and see what works best. I thought about having a cupboard in that 4' space (one with a door) but not sure what I'd put there. That is my quandary. I do not want to inadvertently end up with a large 'junk' space because I failed to have a plan for it.

Color-here is another inspiration pic from a parade home from last fall for the mudroom walls (so outside of this locker area) which would match the kitchen perimeter cabs which will be white. We are planning on a stained island but we do like the darker bench in the locker area inspiration pic and would try to work that in too:

• bird_lover6
    10 years ago

Do you have space for a shower/tub for your large dog? If I ever build another house, I'm definitely including that in the laundry room or mud room.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    10 years ago

Dog shower! We love ours, it is 36 inches and has pull-out steps below it for the puppies:

We also have a charging station for cell phones and iPods in our mudroom because I like to pick those up and drop them off when we go in and out:

Don't know if you use a crate for your dog ever, but we built one in under our cubbies so there would be space for it always and it wouldn't be in the way:

More pics here.

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bird_lover and beagles - I would *love* a shower for dog washing but that is completely out of the budget. :( I normally spray her off after walking each day and she gets groomed. Otherwise she is bathed in our shower!

Beagles-you have a such a great doggie space. I've looked at it many times. :) We don't typically crate her anymore but we do have a door on the locker area so I can keep her in there if we ever choose to do so.

kirkhall-interesting point. It might be nice to do 2 and 2 so we'd each have a larger space, winter stuff gets so bulky and there are the lovely snow pants. You've got the wheels turning. I wonder if I could do 2 per side that are separated down the middle by vertical cubbies for shoes. I think I would like that. Hmmm.

• ibewye
    10 years ago

spottythecat-curious about your floor. My wife had mentioned wanting to use brick on the floor in the mudroom. I'll admit I thought it would look great but I worried about two things: 1-the height of the brick floor compared with the next room becoming a factor and 2-how does it handle water and cleanup? If your willing to share a picture it would be nice to see.

• athensmomof3
    10 years ago

I would consider a charging station as well for kids phones/ipods etc. Our oldest is 13 and he doesn't have a phone yet but many of his friends do. When he does get one, I will bring it downstairs at bedtime to charge to limit talking/texting. . . Putting it in the mud room makes sense so they can grab it and go when they go to school.

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, my newest thought is the divide the spaces up equally that would allow for about 33-36" of hanging space per person. That seems huge but with bags/purses/winter coats and things I think it would be kind of nice actually.

For those of you with mudrooms - does that seem obnoxiously large and wasteful?

If I place shelves in between for shoes - how wide would you make them? 12"? 18" - I thought one of them could be wired with plug for charging various things and the rest would be for shoes, gloves, hats and the like.

Here is a quick excel 'sketch' of what I mean. Do you think having some shelving in between would be useful? I kind of hate taknig my shoes off and then carrying them into my bedroom to 'put them away'. We will have under the bench storage but I personally don't like my shoes in a heap with bottoms of one pair on top of tops of another pair (my OCD is coming out). My boys on the other hand could care less.

Thoughts?

• illinigirl
    10 years ago

don't forget backpacks. I forgot how many kiddos you have. Backbacks take up quite a bit of space sideways. I like the idea of two rows of hooks, offset a bit....a backpack on the lower hook and the coat hanging above/over a bit from it.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

I like this arrangement--double hooks that slide to where you need them.

Otherwise, I'd do double hooks that don't move.

Here is a link that might be useful: pinterest of 2 hook sliders.

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

athens-good point - our oldest is 10 and has an ipod touch that we restrict. I would like to keep charging down in the main area to be sure 'phone time' isn't being abused. Plus then I know it's in a safe area where the dog won't step on it or something. We still struggle with keeping expensive, electronic things up off of the floor, geesh, I'd think that would be obvious but not so!

illini-yes or course backpacks (and I have a tote bag or 2 myself)! We have 2 boys - so if I did larger spaces we'd still have 4 equal spots instead of 3 smaller and then a larger mystery area. I am trying in earnest to build what can grow and change with us. Once they are grown and out then I guess dh and I would each get a whole side to ourselves but then have room for visitors or someday maybe grandbabies (soooo far down the road).

kirkhall-that is interesting and would be very handy. Definitely want staggered double hooks but sliding would be cool. I wonder if they are as sturdy. Backpacks can get very heavy. I was thinking we'd need to put a 2x4 behind the wall to screw the hooks into instead of just hitting drywall.

Here is a more of the space. We do have a 'message center' (what the heck is that?) the house designer threw into an available spot. Dh thought we'd use that for charging. But I still think possibly wiring in for that in the locker area wouldn't be a bad idea. Could be overkill though since I also have an office spot...

Thank you for adding all of your thoughts. It's so helpful to get others thoughts on these things. Sometimes you look at something so much the obvious can escape you!

• momto3kiddos
    10 years ago

Our cubbies/lockers are one of the most favorite features in our new home. Here are two pics... One before we moved in, and one now. I am so pleased with how things turned out, and I like having separation for individuals. Everyone knows where their things belong and where they do not. It is also much easier for my children to reach the hooks on the sides than in the back. Our total depth is 2' but the separated lockers are around 11" deep. If you plan to use baskets underneath or up top, make sure you buy the baskets before giving the carpenter dimensions. I have a friend who cannot find containers to work in her space. We have cloth Target laundry baskets under the bench for each persons shoes. We can fit a ton of shoes in there, and the baskets were super cheap compadre to the container store ones I priced. We have 5 cubbies in 7.5 ft of length. I also really like having the countertop you see to the left. My husbands wallet, our phones, ipad, and mail land here. This is where all of our charging happens, and the drawers hold the usual junk drawer contents... Small tools, note pads, pens, pencils, scissors, etc.

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

momto3-I like the soft cloth baskets! How tall is your bench from the floor if you don't mind me asking? Thanks for your notes about small tools, pens, paper and the like. I would love to get some of that out of the kitchen proper and really don't want it in my office either! Dh keeps his tools outside but I have my own small set (my Dad gave me when I went off to college) that I like to keep handy in the house!

Thanks for posting BOTH pictures. It's so nice to see a lived in space. :)

• ontariomom
    10 years ago

Momto3,

Those mudroom lockers and counter drop zone are wonderful. Did you get a trim carpenter to build them, or go through your kitchen cabinet maker or even DIY?

Carol

• pps7
    10 years ago

3' per person is not overkill. Especially in a cold climate. I don't love the idea of shoe cubbies at eye level.

I like the idea of 2 lockers per side with a closed cabinet in between. The kids can be on one side and the parents on the other. Having some closed storage is nice! Your closet is going to fill up fast! Something like this but with one closed cubby in the middle:

You can use it for stuff like tennis raquets, baseball gloves, gym bags etc. I would put adjustable shelves. They can even put your camera and charger, flashlight, All kinds of things. Maybe even a pull out feeding station for your pet.

I love, love, love having a huge mudroom. We have 8' of locker space plus a message center, plus office, plus powder room plus 8' of closet. We don't have a pantry so that is why the closet is so big. I won't lie and say it's neat all the time, but it definitely does the job of keeping the mess contained so the rest of the house is nice and tidy.

Closets, extra fridge, bench:

Message center, powder room:

Lockers: Since there are just the 3 of us, we have 2 lockers that are 2' with a bigger 4' in the middle.

I second the comment about buying your baskets first. And some closed storage on top is good too. We keep extra hand soap and paper towels.

Office:

• momto3kiddos
    10 years ago

Wow pps7 - Love the office builtins... I couldn't convince dh that I needed a custom desk since we already owned a desk. It's a good thing I didn't own any cubbies or lockers before we built. :)

We had our trim carpenter build our cubbies and the cabinet guy do the cabinet and countertop. I priced the cabinet folks for the cubbies, but they couldn't do it to my exact specs like the trim guy, and I feel like a got a sturdier product. Our bench is 18" from the floor. It is just right to sit on for me and the kids. My kids were used to taking their shoes off and putting them in a bin before we moved, but I am amazed at how well they do it now. It was my husband I had to train to put his shoes in his basket instead of in front of his basket. :) The true test comes next week when the kids start back to school.

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

Wow, beaglesdoitbetter, momto3kiddos, pps7, those are some amazing mudrooms! Did you design them yourselves?

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pps7-thanks for the tour (love your 4 panel doors, office, lockers, message center and bench - all of it really), love your house! :) I like the inspiration picture as well. I am trying to stay as flexible as possible so it can grow with us through the years. I am glad that you don't find 3' to be excessive and you are correct, with colder weather the majority of the time we have all different thicknesses of jackets and coats and the temps changes so frequently you never can tell which one you might need on any given day! I also run outside year round so I have running outerwear as well and cleats for my shoes, and all that good stuff.

We have a very large pantry which will hold our chest freezer as well as our 'extra' paper towels, paper plates, napkins, soaps, dog food and things as well as much of our food.

momto3-thanks for the dimensions - I was thinking 15-18. Dh is tall and likely our ds's will be also so we'd better go with 18! Dh's brother is a trim carpenter and we are figuring on him doing all of the built ins. My kids are NOT good at putting shoes away but in our house there really wasn't a place to do so and they never picked them up and carried them to their rooms. I am soooo looking forward to this area in our new home. We are in a rental now and that even has more space for shoes than our old home did. :P

I think I need to make a list of all of the things I plan on putting in there to give me some direction. I like the idea of splitting it equal - then I could have hooks on one side also like yours and momto3's. I think they'd be used often as well. I am not opposed to having some closed shelving storage. I do need to put dog towels, treats, meds, leashes somewhere also. Dh says ya don't design a room around a dog but because she is basically mine and I take care of her the most it would make MY life easier if I did to some extent!

Oh my - is it time for back to school?! All I have heard is fighting all week and I am ready! :( We don't start until Sep 3.

Thanks for your thoughts!

• peytonroad
    10 years ago

I have the set up as in your inspiration picture. I find, my kids don't put their shoes under the bench. They stay infront of the bench. Under the bench also collects amazing amounts of dust/debri. If this area is near the garage it also makes the first locker bay are too close to place shoes when coming in unless the door stays open. I hear my kids squibble over "your shoes are in my space". But I can always kick the shoes under when I walk in(wink). The benches are great catchalls too!

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

nero-thanks for the pictures - always looking for more ideas. I don't think I've seen any with a rod instead of hooks. I will have to ponder that too. Thanks for sharing.

peyton-I'm telling myself there were shoes everywhere because there wasn't truly a home for them and that when there is my children will happily put them away. We shall see how that works out, lol! Thankfully our lockers are not right in front of the door but sort of in their own enclosed spot so there will be easy access for everyone (no excuses to not put their stuff away!).

• mcfromct
    10 years ago

Here is another inspiration pic where the front is open (vs divided into lockers). Also like that the bottom is tile floor (vs cabinet) so it doesn't get dirty from shoes. On the left is a closet to hide stuff..

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

mcfromct-do you know where you got that pic? I really like the tile...and we are having tile there. It's looks like a good mix of browns with grays.

Thanks!

• mcfromct
    10 years ago

Got it from Houzz. We did a very similar tile from Daltile bc I loved the tile in this pic too. A lot of those slate-like tiles will have that look - I bet you could find something very similar at any tile place. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: [mudroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/carpenter-gothic-mudroom-traditional-entry-boston-phvw-vp~72147)

• mcfromct
    10 years ago

oops...sorry-different mudroom but very similar!! I can't remember where I got that original picture but possibly on Houzz too.

• mcfromct
    10 years ago

found it-here it is...

Here is a link that might be useful: [mudroom 2[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/birmingham-mi-mud-laundry-room-addition-traditional-entry-detroit-phvw-vp~211326)

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like them both! Thank you for going to the trouble to post them for me!

• pps7
    10 years ago

Yes definitely do slate or a porcelain slate look alike tile. It is the best material for hiding dirt and always looking good. It Lso has a little texture so that it's not slippery when wet.

We did real slate since I fell in love with the color variation and it was a little lighter. Plus real slate was cheaper that the the imitation! It has held up great!

We had slate imitation tile in our previous house bath and it also held up great.

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

pps7-we had porcelain look slate in our last house and it did hold up great so that's what I have been leaning toward again.

But - you are correct it is more pricey.

Can you tell me more about your real slate? I'm concerned about the clefts - chipping, harder on feet, harder to clean? Any of those true? Do you walk barefoot on it no problem? I am thinking with the divots and clefts it might trap dirt more readily. ??? The coloring of natural slate is beautiful. I have looked at it several times over but too concerned with the above to make the jump. We will have significantly more flooring this time around so cost is definitely a factor.

Thanks.