SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mattnj186

Bluestar Ignitors and Burners

MattNJ186
10 years ago

I have read the posts on the ignitor cost issue ($22 plus high shipping). Anyone find an alternative that works? None of the prior post had a painless solution. I have a bad ignitor and assuming they will fail again, so was looking for a cost effective alternative.

Also, I was considering increasing my 15K burner to 22K. It appears after extensive research, you cannot get the parts (burner and orifice) because Bluestar does not want consumers to perform this simple upgrade and want them to purchase the more expensive range. I have found the burner, but not the orifice. Was considering getting a .47 drill bit and doing myself. Has anyone done this before? I am sure the everything else on the orfice is the same but the only difference being the hole diameter. Comments/suggestions?

Comments (96)

• Darren Garvin
    7 years ago

thanks for great info. Bluayeddvl! I too am in Canada's Capital Region and would like to do my one of my RCS 6 burners. How can we have a private dialogue?

• michael nouryeh
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hello. I too am trying to upgrade a RCS 15k to an 18/22k burner head. I have the orifice but so far have not had any luck finding a replacement head. I feel a bit like Indiana Jones on the hunt to pilfer some great relic from its heavily guarded sanctuary... and it's a just a gas range burner head. Help!

• Related Discussions

Bluestar ignitor problem

Q

Comments (29)
    Our Dacor range has had similar problems. It used to click 'forever', and sometimes ignite, sometimes not. Dacor replaced the igniters and wiring with a revised style - which was a huge improvement. But now it often keeps clicking for 20 seconds or so after ignition. Dacor replaced the ignition module, but this didn't help much. So we are living with it. Drives SWMBO batty. FWIW, the ignition module that Dacor uses is made by an Australian company - Tytronics. Ours uses model RI-306 - a 6-burner model. You can find them with google. I sent them email with some technical questions on this, but received no reply. Nice customer service... I wonder if Viking, and Bluestar also use Tytronics products? One other thing: By both Dacors and Tytronics' technical documentation, it seems proper electrical grounding is important to these ignition modules. I tried both 3-wire and 4-wire setups, but have not seen much difference between the two.
    ...See More

Bluestar - Finally an aftermarket ignitor

Q

Comments (2)
    That's the old style igniter. The new one (circa 2014) is solid porcelain so there is nowhere for food or liquid to trap and crack. I'm not saying that the new ones are bullet proof, but that have to be better than the ones like are pictured (and originally came on my range top).
    ...See More

bluestar burner ignitor

Q

Comments (4)
    I got 6-32 stainless socket head cap screws that take an allen wrench and have a hefty head on them. They aren't that expensive, so I don't understand either why they would not spend a few cents to make their "design" more robust. Personally, I think it's things like this that help to give bluestar a bad name. I'm handy, so I can deal with stuff like this, but I think that a lot of people can't and don't want to put up with stuff like this! I thought that I was going to have to drill them out and I wasn't looking forward to it, but I took a torx bit and pounded it in - got it! thx for the bluestar tip. I may call them if I can't find it locally.
    ...See More

Generic BlueStar range ceramic ignitors?

Q

Comments (32)
    Thanks Thusie; Repairclinic was one of my first ventures...I pored over their 481 (to be exact) igniter styles and found no BlueStar matches.....Before I write them off, I will call them...as you say, they are known to be phone-responsive..... Thull....I tried the penetrating oil...problem is, the flange on the igniter is covering the screw's hole entirely, and the whole unit is torqued down, dis-allowing any penetrating oil to even get to the threads.....Upon examining the snapped screw, I can see the screw body has "become one" with the cast iron...don't think oil can even get in there...Another problem arises in the fact that it is a blind hole....(only access to one side of the hole) Since I now know I need at least three igniters, I'm going to heat the screw with a small torch...this seems to be the most efficient way I've found... Thanks for all the input here...I'm not giving up yet....even looked into repairing/reglazing the hairline cracks....(was told to try this from one of the many igniter dealers I talked to)
    ...See More
  • User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Too bad there isn't a private message option here on this site.

• myles_chisholm
    7 years ago

I too would like to upgrade from a 15K to a 22K burner. If anyone has info on where to obtain new burner head, i would appreciate it.

• michael nouryeh
    7 years ago

Update. I didn't find an upgrade burner head for my RCS but traded it in for a Platinum. I was able to do so b/c the RCS was still boxed up (waiting for a remodel to complete). I purchased the platinum 36 for 5k thru appliance outlet (demos, blemished, old models etc) in chatsworth ca. They have another one (factory refurbished) for the same price. Hoping the money spent to upgrade (2k) for 25k/22k/22k/18k/15k/9k burners is worth it.

• Keir F
    6 years ago

If you are in Ontario you should google rapid service parts & delivery in Mississauga. I emailed them and I just picked up a 22k burner gasket and orifice today. No serial number asked for. $250 was steep but not as steep as the upgrade to a RNB. Best of luck all.

• John K
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Does anyone have knowledge or guidance regarding upgrading to or adding a 25k burner to an RNB rangetop? Based on what I've read I'll would need to 1) buy a new burner or drill holes in a less powerful burner 2) buy a new orifice. The 25k burner is described as having "extra 8 holes in the center ring" but I'm exactly sure what that means. I came across this on the guaranteedparts website http://www.guaranteedparts.com/product/BS-729804.html but the part number seems to be 22k burner part number according to an earlier post in this thread and the picture looks exactly like the 22k burner. Does anyone know of where I could buy the 25k burner (yes I've heard that most distributors will make you supply a serial number before selling you a part) or find a picture of it so that I might attempt to drill these 8 extra holes? Does anyone know the size of the orifice required by the 25k burner? Thanks!

• john scott
    6 years ago

I'm in the same boat with everyone else looking for a burner(s). If I get a source that is not asking either an exorbitant price or a serial number, I will probably order some extras. With the time I've invested in this hunt, though, I can assure you that you won't like the price at all. But a hot-rodded RCS with at least one 22k burner solves and satisfies the problem and would still be worlds cheaper than going with an RNB or a BPS line range or cooktop. I'll let you know how I come out. Stay tuned. Btw, even though this thread has some "age" on it, I REALLY like the good pic of the 22k burner that bluayeddvl posted above. Pure eye candy! Thank you!

• stevep2005
    6 years ago

jmcqueen, you understand that you also need the 22k orifice specific to either propane or natural gas, right? Plus you'll want a new venturi gasket, best to start clean when messing with the gas connection - the existing one will at minimum be compressed to hell - you want to make sure the new burner heated gets seated well. And if your venturi screws and/or igniter screw is rusty (IDK what year your range is) or a little striped, you may as well start fresh there as well. It took me three separate orders with Bluestar to rebuild my burners - love that they gave me a ton of free parts, but if I can save you a few steps...

• john scott
    6 years ago

Yep, the #47 orifice is needed for NG to make 22k out of the 18k burner. Always a new gasket, check. Venturi tubes are the same. Thanks for the heads up. I have experience running both flex and black pipe gas lines, so this shouldn’t pose much of a challenge. My buddy has a sniffer I can use to check for leaks.

• john scott
    5 years ago

ok, through much effort, i have some extra new 18k/22k burners with the orifices. let me know if you want 1 or more. like i said above, they aren't cheap, but it sure beats the alternative of having to upgrade your entire range.

• Eric Sarno
    5 years ago

Hi John, interested in knowing what it would be for the 22k upgrade + parts, feel free to send me a message. Thanks!

• myles_chisholm
    5 years ago

Hi John Scott, I am interested in the 22k upgrade if you still have them available.

message me or email, simply add @live.com to my username.

• Justin Koozer
    5 years ago

I think I found all of the right parts on letstalkparts.com. I haven't checked out yet because I wanted to confirm this is everything I need. They make no mention on requiring a serial number. Can anyone confirm that this is all correct?

• Tim Sale
    5 years ago

I would also be interested,JOhn

• M
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The orifice is way overpriced. It's a standardized part. You can probably get a non-branded orifice for less than $5 from Amazon.

Check whether your old venturi tube and your igniter are still good -- and whether the screws have seized. I ended replacing the whole assembly instead. Please note that you don't get replacement screws when you order like this. But any good hardware store will carry appropriately sized screws. I recommend getting stainless steel. Don't fasten too tightly. These are small screws that break easily. Drilling out and retapping brass screws is easy; doing the same with stainless steel is a major pain -- ask me, how I know.

You need one non-standard tool: Buy a deep socket driver. If I recall correctly, it was 1/2"; but I might misremember.

You can upgrade all the way to Platinum burner heads, if you so choose. You can also install bigger orifices. I don't recommend any bigger than #43. And that's probably already a little too big.

We upgraded a single burner in the front. That's all we need for things like wok cooking.

• Jeff T
    4 years ago

john scott do you still have access to the 18K/22K burner heads? Does anyone else have access to a replacement? Anyone willing to trade down to a 15K burner head?

• catinthehat
    4 years ago

I have two 22k burner heads I’d be willing to sell, but I have no idea how to private message on these forums.

• Jeff T
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

catinthehat send me an email at jtshop1 at g(ee)mail. Thx!

• john scott
    4 years ago

Hi all. I ended up not purchasing and redoing a used cooktop. I have qty 5 of the genuine BlueStar 18k/22k burner heads (part #729801) that I am selling. I will also include both the #45 and #47 orifices for each, so you have either 18k or 22k capability. If you need 25k, and you study the pictures and are handy with a drill, you can up-convert this burner to 25k. These burners are the same casting as the 25k burners but without the holes at the base of the legs on the inner ring. I will update qty's here on houzz as these sell. Price is $300 each shipped with both the #45 and #47 orifices shipped with each. I had to pay a premium for these, just so you know. PayPal is jmcqueen9731 at g(ee)mail dot com. EDIT: Or, shoot me an email if you have any Q's. I'll be happy to answer them for you. Bottom pics are my burners showing them brand new in the wrapping. Thanks.

If you want to up-convert to 25k, check the holes on the inner ring on the image below. A local machine shop should be able to match the hole size and properly locate them for you.

Here are photos of my burner heads, along with the #45 and #47 orifices

• john scott
    4 years ago

My 5 are listed on eBay 7/28/19 with BuyItNow at $295 each, includes shipping. If you get them here and use PayPal directly, it will save me $'s, so I'll let them go with both orifices at $280 each (shipping included).

• Lauren Peterson
    4 years ago

I was able to buy 2 used 18/22k burners on eBay about a month ago. They guy said he downgraded to the 15k burners. Does anyone know the part number of the compatible 47 Garland orifice?

• Jeff T
    4 years ago

Wow, nice score on Ebay!

You can get a compatible orifice here.

I would actually go with a 46 size for just a little more boost.

• john scott
    4 years ago

Of the 5 originally listed (see details in my post above), there are 3 left on the bay at $265 each, which includes shipping.

• john scott
    4 years ago

Another one sold. There are only 2 left folks, as of 8/19.

• john scott
    4 years ago

Went on vaca, so i had to de-list the remaining burners. They are back up on the bay now that I'm back. Gotta sell them, so $199 including shipping.

• stefew
    4 years ago

Has anybody had success with letstalkparts.com?

I'm thinking of going that way. Just bought a 30" RCS. The RNB version of the range is $1700 more here in Canada! Ouch, for just one 22k burner i can spend $200US. It's already a pricey endeavor to get the RCS with the exchange between US and CAD dollars. My wife would have left me if I'd gotten the RNB.

Sorry about the sob story. ;)

Thanks

• M
    4 years ago

I've had good luck with letstalkparts

• gigelus2k13
    4 years ago

@John Scott, can you send me a link to your ebay listing? All I found is a listing by spinn01, but the price doesn't match. I will buy one from you, my RCS is getting installed in a week :-)

• john scott
    4 years ago

Sorry, they are all sold.

• ToddS
    4 years ago

M, you have posted that "you can upgrade all the way to Platinum burner heads, if you so choose." Are you talking about the 25K burner? Could you please list the appropriate orifice(s) for this?

Also, anyone, I have a question about the 18/22K designation. Does that label apply to one burner model only, with the choice of orifice determining the burner output (18 or 22K)?

A listing above seems to indicate that there are separate burner models, one for 18K and another for 22K. Many thanks for any clarification!

• M
    4 years ago

Could you please list the appropriate orifice(s) for this?

The other thread https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5183632/bluestar-range-25k-burner-question has a great discussion on all the different orifice sizes. But I see you already discovered that thread. So, this is just as a benefit to other people looking for the same information.

As far as I recall, the burner heads for both 18kBTU and 2kBTU are identical and the only difference is the orifice size. But it's been a while since I looked this information up in detail. So, I might be misremembering.

• ToddS
    4 years ago

John Scot -- thanks for the reply and excellent information. I have been woking on my RCS 15K burners with a 14" wok since we purchased the stove several years ago. It works well for two people, but cooking a wok meal for more, well, not so much. That's why I want to scale up at this point. My range hood runs 550 cfm, does OK on its highest setting during woking (for now!).

• Jeff T
    4 years ago

If anyone is interested, I have a used 22K burner available that I'd be wiling to let go. As John Scot had mentioned, you only really need one high output burner; two was overkill for me. Look at my previous response for contact.

• Brendan Kong
    3 years ago

@Jeff T still have it?

• Shannon Wheatley
    3 years ago

Anyone have a 22k burner?

• R G
    3 years ago

Lets talk parts dot com has the burners. Also, any restaurant supply store or website has any size orifice you need for about $3. All that matters for the orifice is the correct size (position of orifice vs tube inlet for the venturi), material, and thread. There is no way the manifold can limit the flow for a slightly larger orifice. In general, as long as the cross sectional area of the inlet to the manifold is greater than the sum of the outlets, it will maintain pressure. Also, it must be designed to allow for greater primary air draw due to shipping to higher elevations where there is less oxygen. If it didn‘t, there would be a separate kit or model for high elevation installs. I also seriously doubt that there are two different manifolds for LP and natural gas, doesn't make sense from a manufacturing cost perspective. Natural gas requires significantly more volume for the same btu output. If you need more information than that to find the required parts, or don’t fully understand this post, I’d find someone who knows what they’re doing for this upgrade. Don’t mess with gas in your home if you are at all uncomfortable with it.

• sethm
    2 years ago

Looking for two 22k burner replacements. It's annoying that the both front (22k) igniters broke in 6 years and while changing the igniters (had some extras), the rusted screws broke inside. No easy way to get it out and put the replacement igniters. Thought would order extra burners but the company website online store doesn't show any 22k burners in parts offered.

Lets talk parts dot com has the burner part 729804 but in description it says 25k burner. Can someone confirm if they are same?

• burgerkong
    2 years ago

25K burner has an extra ring of flame holes in the center, but unless you changed to the larger orifice for 25K burner, it should function as normal.

• M
    2 years ago

The 25kBTU burners are nice. They are more powerful than the 22kBTU that you ahve right now, so they are sought after as upgrades. But they are supposed to be paired with larger jes orifices. No big deal, third-party gas orifices only cost less than $10 and are easy to change if you have access to a deep socket driver. Afterwards, you might have to adjust the shutters and the low simmer set point. Youtube can show you how to do that.

But if you don't want to go this route then I think guaranteedparts dot com has a 22/18kBTU burner head in stock.

Of course, if it was me, I'd just drill a new hole and squeeze in a new screw. Cast iron is pretty easy to work with. You probably won't even need to tap any threads. I have actually done this a couple of times over the years. We have had our Bluestar for more than 10 years now. I think I only ever managed to actually break an ignitor while cooking once (spilled some liquid on the hot ignitor). But I have damaged them when upgrading from 22kBTU to 25kBTU burner heads, and also when replacing venturi tubes.

It happens. Honestly, no big deal if you are handy with an electric drill. Even better, if you have access to a drill press.

• sethm
    2 years ago

Thanks a lot M and burgerkong. Will try drilling hole first, else will order from guaranteedparts.

• Mconn
    2 years ago

@sethm you might look into swapping for stainless steel screws when you do your replacement. I bought a BS last fall and after reading several posts here similar to your story I decided to future proof a bit and replaced all 6 of my ignitor screws with SS and added some anti-sieze lubricant to them all.

I haven't need to replace a burner yet, but I'm hoping I've made it easier when I do.

• Brad MacDonald
    2 years ago

So I’m purchasing a 36” RCS and want to upgrade two of my front burners to 22k and a 25k. Do the burners have the same footprint of the 15k? Do I need to purchase anything else in addition to the burners to make it work?

• M
    2 years ago

You'll need the burner heads and the proper size gas orifices. You will also need to adjust shutters and the low set point, following the instructions that you can find in YouTube. If your gasket is worn out, that might need replacement with a new one. If you crack the ignitor for some reason, that could also need replacement.

• Jeff T
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The 22K uses the #47 orifice, while the 25K uses the #45; I bumped mine up to #44 and it works fine (see photo 15K vs 25K). I would get a new gasket as they are easily torn.

• M
    2 years ago

The gasket is great, assuming all the parts are factory new -- or only a few years old at most. I upgraded one of my burner heads after having used the range for many years though, and by that time the flange on the venturi tube had warped significantly. Everything was of course still gas tight while assembled, but after removing the burner head, it would never go back together properly. Even replacing the gasket wouldn't have helped.

The obvious solution is of course to buy replacement venturi tubes. And that's fine. They are not that expensive and at some point I am not surprised that things wear out. But I found a pragmatic solution that worked even better, and has kept working for a couple of years now. Instead of the fiber based gasket, I used high temperature sealant that I happened to have at hand. It can fill uneven gaps quite nicely.

I am not sure it'll ever come off again now. Looks pretty solid. But if I need to replace the venturi tube in the future, then that's for sure the time when I should buy brand new parts anyway. So, no harm done attaching the pieces permanently.

• Brad MacDonald
    2 years ago

Are the orifices fairly universal or should I be looking for a certain size/thread?

• Jeff T
    2 years ago

There are different types, but you'll want to get a Garland type orifice. You might want to try to take out the orifice on your existing to be sure of the style. I forgot the size (1/2" to 9/16"), but you'll need a deep socket with an extension to get it out.

• M
    2 years ago

All these appliances follow the design of the old Garland commercial ranges. In fact, I think there still are commercial models from other manufacturers that are very clearly based on the Garland designs. And Bluestar even advertises this fact for their residential ranges. It's a workhorse and surprisingly standardized.

So, yeah, just look for a commercial "Garland-style" orifice, and it should work. Plenty of options out there. Should cost somewhere between $5 and $10.