SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luvofbeauty75_gw

Replacing the bathroom sinks without new countertops?

luvofbeauty75
10 years ago

Hi there,

I searched and found only one post about this topic but I have a couple more questions to ask about this. Hope you can help. Thanks in advance!

OK yes, I am still working on cleaning up the kitchen cabinets and WILL work on the foyer flooring soon, but I'm already researching on how I can improve the small bathrooms in my house :)

So my house has 1 half bathroom and 1 jack & jill bath and that's the main bathroom. All of them have cultured marble countertops with undermount sinks. I have no big problem with the countertops although they're a little dated. But then we did change the faucets and now there's a brownish circle where the old faucets were. I wonder how I can clean that. Or I googled and found some people painted over the cultured marble tops. Has anyone done that? Will it last? Any ideas?

Also, I would like to change out the undermount sinks to drop-in ones if possible. These sinks are scratched and rusty where the overflows are. But my main question is I don't know if I can find a sink that fits in that hole. The countertops have an oval opening that is about 16.5" X 13.5". When I look it up, I saw on both homedepot and lowes website that most sinks are bigger than this. But then I saw on the specs that there is also a "cut out measurement" or "inner measurement", should this actually be the right measurement? I am confused. I just hope that I can find a drop-in sink that can fit in my current hole. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have never changed a sink before. Hope someone can help.

And yes, you will probably ask why I don't just replace all the counter tops as well. We thought about that but it seems not cheap. And even the half bath, I initially thought I can buy a 1-piece vanity top but then found out it's not possible cuz that top is not quite the standard size (depth-wise). And the main bath has 2 single vanity tops that are 60" and 72", seems like these countertops are not cheap either because of the size. Plus the cultured marble top is not in extremely bad shape, so I hope that I can simply change out the sinks.

Hope someone can give me some insight on this. Thanks for reading my post!

Comments (8)