SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pepperidge_farm

BillV- tiling Q, counter top etc...

pepperidge_farm
14 years ago

Have a general question about tiling a counter top, it is ultimately in my kitchen, though, also about an old back splash...

We have a relatively new (5 years) laminate counter top in the kitchen that was intended to be temporary- it replaced something that could in no way wait (it's a fake green granite- looks very nice, but..). Unlikely that we will have the cash to buy a solid stone right now (college costs for 2!!) but my labor is free! Is it possible or recommended to tile over this surface? I would contemplate putting down a membrane first? Or would I need to build it from scratch? What types of tile would be OK on a kitchen counter- any limitations? It is just so new and flat and level... and there already.

Also, have an old back splash that is made of the same tile that is on the floor- so it is a matte 12" gray tile with white insets and thick gray grout lines. Can I scrub and scuff and tile over it ( I still have good modified thin set left from the bathroom)? I think getting it off would ultimately mean a total tear out, and we just can't do that right now, but I am dying to update the look of the kitchen.

So my question about the back splash led me to want to do the counter too... :-) But I would be just as happy to just do the back splash.

TIA

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio