SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chupachups_gw

Need Advice on Build - Insulation

ChupaChups
10 years ago

Hi,

We're in the process of working with an independent builder to build a ~3,900 sq. ft. house in Northern NJ (zone 5 for insulation). Base price will be around $980,000.

I had asked whether it is standard for there to be insulation between the basement and the first floor and between the first floor and the second floor. Apparently, it is not standard and will be around $8,000 more if I wanted insulation between the floors. Is this reasonable and do I really need insulation between the floors?

I also asked about using blown cellulose in the side walls. The current plans provide for R19 fiberglass bat in the side walls -- I think this is the bare minimum for code. It would be another $12,000 for a R13 fiberglass bat and blown cellulose with R13 for a total of R26. It's a 37% increase in the R factor but does this make economic sense? This will be my primary residence and we plan to stay for the next 20 years.

I think they're just using fiberglass bat for the attic but I'm not sure on the R value of that... maybe 36.

Any input you have would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)