SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jw34_gw

Completed small bath reno

jw34
11 years ago

GW has been a wonderful source of inspiration and ideas for those of us doing renovations; it is *so* helpful to see choices and end results. So, in that spirit, photos of a small bath renovation....

It wasn't possible to expand the 5'x9' room or really to do much with the layout. Adding a window was at the top of my list along with replacing the sad and tired mid-80s builder grade cabinetry, tile, mirror.

I didn't set out to do B&W, but did fall in love with the Crossville Bluestone 'Pennsylvania Blue' tile; alas, by the time this project finally got off the ground, it was not available and I had to chose something else, last minute. The new tile, somewhat darker, sorta pushed me into a B&W scheme.

I like a modern, unfussy look so opted for a simple tile pattern, no decorative borders etc, simple chrome fixtures. The small room seemed to dictate a minimalist approach.

The whole project took too long (contractor and I are no longer speaking -- don't ask!) and cost too much but, in the end, is a nice improvement. Thank you all for your knowledge and advice!

Details:

- tile: Daltile City View 'Urban Evening' 12x12; shower floor is Daltile Continental Slate 'Asian Black' 3x3 (no mosaic for the City View)

- vanity top, sill: Absolute Black granite

- vanity: Kraftmaid, in 'Canvas' color, purchased via eBay

- sink: Kohler Ladena

- faucet: Grohe Essence

- medicine cabinet: Kohler (Although framed mirrors are lovely, I went with a traditional mirrored medicine cabinet because there just isn't enough storage.)

- vanity light: George Kovac

- shower trim: Grohe Atrio

- shower doors: custom (local glass shop), Starphire, Hydroshield; these were ridiculously expensive but I didn't want to use sliders as the top 'bar' would partially block the window

- fan: Panasonic FV-11VH2 WhisperWarm

- toilet: Toto Aquia III

- wall color: BM 'Silver Mist' (a pale blue/gray)

ugh, before; (blue tape marks approximate window position):

Wanted to use 12x24 tiles but larger sizes require more carefully prepared floor, i.e cost more; so finally went with 12x12. This photo shows the old floor with 12x24 marked in tape and the original (unavailable) Crossville tile.

In progress, window installed:

Finished!

Vanity, sink, faucet, medicine chest, light:

Comments (31)