SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krycek1984

More Confused Than Ever!

krycek1984
13 years ago

So, after hanging out on the board for a while, I'm more confused than ever! I've heard lots of discussion on per-square foot cost to build, and the good and bad of using that number. And how sometimes it can be accurate, sometimes not, but that it's difficult to apply across the board, of course.

I don't know if it's just really cheap to build in Cleveland, or what, but...I was assuming to build a house on our land it would be AT LEAST 150 per square foot.

I started looking at all kinds of new, or within the past 5 year, homes. They start down around 145-155k for 1600 sq ft to about 200-260k for 2000-2200 sq ft. Which pretty much brings you under 100 per sq ft, without deducting for the land!!!

So what gives? Is it just really cheap to build in some areas?

I know it can't be ::gulp:: depreciation...there's no reason a house would depreciate that much (even given the current struggles - these are new houses in desirable communities and the price reduction hasnt happened that bad in Cleve, of course there was never a huge price spike either).

And these aren't mega developments like down south...a few were outlots, most were small developments of 5-10 houses.

Any thoughts on this? It was really interesting for me to look at!

Comments (10)