SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mbishop22

help choosing 48" stainless range ($15K) for new house

mbishop22
9 years ago

Hi everyone, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the many threads here on this topic - so I decided to follow the advice of some posters and ask you all for advise based on the specific ways we cook. So here goes - thank you so much in advance for any help you can provide.

We are building a new house in the Seattle area, and we are looking for a 48" range because we like the look and want 2 ovens. Our gas is propane. We use both the cooktop and oven equal amounts. Our budget is $15K, though savings would be great so that we can splurge in other areas of the house. As for cookware, we currently use stainless pots, a non-stick griddle pan, a Lodge cast iron pan, a pizza stone, non-stick cookie sheets, etc.

Common cooktop uses: fried eggs, pancakes, pasta, rice, quinoa, beans, fajitas, bacon, stir fry, phad thai, peanut sauce, canning (huge pressure cooker), soup

Common oven uses: bread, burgers (broiled), baked french fries, homemade pizza, fish, roasted chicken, cookies, casseroles

I've read a lot of threads about sealed vs open burners, so I understand the general differences. It seems to me that the performance advantage of open burners is neutralized by sealed burner models that have dual burners (like the Wolf). But besides performance of the cooktop, we also care a lot about how hard it is to keep it looking nice. We've cooked a lot on a Dacor sealed burner cooktop that has what seems to be a very common black ceramic surface under the burners, and it's a nightmare to keep clean (because it's black and because it smudges after cleaning). Lastly, we want the range to be stainless. And obviously reliability is something we care about.

Okay I think I've covered the most important things, but feel free to ask if I forgot anything. Thank you!!

Comments (7)