SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeniferrlynne_gw

Anyone have an eye for exterior design? Help needed...

jeniferrlynne
15 years ago

I would like to have someone lookover the exterior and give your opinion. I am completely pleased with the floorplan but am not 100% sure about the exterior design as that is not my strength. Where the floorplan was function for me, now I need help with the form.

Now I know the shutters are incorrect(would not cover window if closed). Should my door by a single or double? Windows should they be rounded at top or square? Dormers are they a good shape/size? Chimney interesting? Porch framing or posts? Other porch ideas? It is drawn with brick/rock but I would appreciate other ideas.

Comments (35)

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The first thing I would suggest is to either remove the material indications or show all of them. Perhaps the indications could be less detailed. The drawings are just too hard to read to be used as a design tool. And without the plan or a perspective it is difficult to understand projections, etc. You could also make the drawings larger. Are those little transom windows with nothing below them? Are there some kind of vents at each gable end? Is this on a foundation or slab? Why is the house and its windows so close to the ground? Why are the 3 featured windows the same size but in very different sized walls? Is this driven by the plan? What is the inspiration for the design?

• chisue
    15 years ago

If you want (and are willing to pay for) archtop windows, I could see an archtop single door with sidelights. I don't see many double doors on new homes in my area. (You could have an archtop effect using plain windows with an inscribed arch over them.)

What is the purpose of the carport/porte-cochere? Is there a garage to its left? What is the little room at far right with the big archtop window? Are there rooms under that expanse of roof? I'm sorry to report that there is a similar setup on a home being built near me, referred to as "Motel 6" by its neighbors.

• Related Discussions

Help please - need a fresh pair of eyes on exterior

Q

Comments (34)
    Thank you so much to all of you for your comments. They have been very helpful and I really appreciate all of your time. I don't know how many people will still read this thread, but I am posting a couple of additional pictures showing a couple of Cape style houses with a little more punch to them. I am very interested in any thoughts you may have. Option A. This is one we really like. Not really the blue, but the contrast with the stone, the trim, etc. We would have three smaller dormers (those are too big) and I think this would be about the height of the roof of ours. The garage would be in back so we would not have the gable on the left that's why I show it with the gable and then closer in without to give the idea of what it would look like for us. Option B: We like this as well - nice color scheme. We might choose to put stone on the porch instead and we would have equal sides like I showed in my original white house above. I believe this roof is steeper/taller than what ours would be. Just curious if you like these and think they add enough pizazz to the classic Cape style? FWIW, there are not a ton of this style of house here - usually one or two in any given custom neighborhood, so they are not overdone.
    ...See More

Ready to paint exterior - need help w/choices - photoshop anyone?

Q

Comments (104)
    jejvtr: I like the first link you showed, but the second one did not work. You are right the columns look similar. Perhaps you should leave them afterall, they are growing on me. It has a certain delicacy with the arched roof and you may change you mind also once the trim is painted different than the house color. Which is probably another reason my vote is for a non-white base color--to accentuate your lovely trimwork. I'm glad you are looking at other homes similar to yours for inspiration. When we were remodeling last year, I always kept a digital camera in my car and I would snap pics of features/colors/etc of houses I liked--usually while picking up or dropping off my kids from school or sports practices. I would try to drive a bit in the residential areas. Then when we were finalizing paint, I had my paint swatches with me and I would go up to houses which I liked and compare paint swatches. Once you and your DH find an inspiration pic I think this is helpful to narrow down to an actual color. You will always see things we don't, like lighting and how it works from various angles. What does DH think? Still white/red?
    ...See More

Calling all designers and people with a good eye: Help with Exterior!

Q

Comments (6)
    I love your house. Paint it all black fox by sherwin williams, the contrast will make your brick appear whiter. I might replace the garage door with something more interesting since it’s a prominent feature.
    ...See More

Ikea Cabinet Design Extra Eyes Needed and Appreciated

Q

Comments (11)
    It depends... Cabinets with doors cannot be installed flush with something deeper than the cabinet box + door, they need filler to allow the doors to open fully against the wall...unless...your cabinets are built with an extended stile on the ends that act as filler. Regarding the refrigerator...as mentioned above, if it's installed against a wall deep than the refrigerator box, you will need filler b/w the refrigerator and wall. The amount needed will depend on the how much deeper the wall is than the depth of the refrigerator box. With the exception of true built-in refrigerators, the doors of refrigerators must stick out past all surrounding items to allow the doors to open fully. You don't want the handles hitting the wall either. In most cases, you will need somewhere between 6" and 12" of filler or cabinetry b/w the wall and refrigerator. When I work on Kitchens with a refrigerator against a wall, I like to put in a pullout utility or pantry cabinet b/w the wall and refrigerator. That way, you don't waste space. Another thing to think about...if a Kitchen has a "dead end" wall on one end, don't put the refrigerator against that wall. The refrigerator should be located so someone can get to it without having to cross the Prep, Cooking, and Cleanup Zones (especially the Prep & Cooking Zones). I.e., it should be on the outside of the Kitchen, not the inside. Without a 2D/flat/overhead view of the layout, it's difficult to tell much. An overhead view lets us see how the various components relate to each other, aisle widths, etc. You can't get that from elevation pictures like the ones you posted. Do you have an overhead view with labeled dimensions? If so, could you please post it?
    ...See More
  • jeniferrlynne
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oops sorry about the size. Maybe I can do it in 2 sections but larger. I am unable to remove the material indications, or perhaps I don't know how to remove as this is how we purchased the plans months ago. At the time we bought the plans I really didn't know how much could be done to change the exterior look but now that I have been on this website I see I have many options. It is a slab foundation. And why all 3 windows are drawn exactly the same and hung low I don't know that it has anything to do with plan. I try to repost my floor plan to help...

and

Here is the floorplan though a couple of things have changed on the final plans we have in hand. The plumber has set up with a tankless circ. w.heater for the entire house freeing up a closet for future washer/dryer unit. Island is not correct size as I have not finished Kitchen layout yet. And a window has been added to the kitchen facing the walkway, 2nd entry. I will answer any other questions as they are fired....

• carterinms
    15 years ago

I would replace the two closet transoms with a single window. You would lose some hanging space but it would add some visual interest to the outside wall.

I don't like that the dormer isn't centered over the front door, or that the Left Elevation first floor window isn't centered with the window/roof peak above.

Why not turn the carport into a garage? That roof is going to be a large expense. In general, I don't care for how long the right side of the house is (kitchen wall out). To me, it takes away from the main house.

Lastly, the left attic vent looks out of proportion compared to the right.

• chisue
    15 years ago

So...there are large, archtop, to-the-floor windows on a utility room and a storage room?

Do the narrow dormers serve any purpose? What's upstairs?

You really don't need windows in a closet. Or a shower.

It's quite an end run from parking to kitchen w/groceries.

• jeniferrlynne
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have often thought the long right side takes away as well. But like I said the exterior is not my strong suit and I couldn't describe why it looked "off" to me. Neither of us really like a garage and what it kept doing to our floor plan, but the other idea would be a completely detached garage space. Thus removing the carport and studio/storage area into its own little house! It will be on 26 acres so this wouldn't be a problem.
    I love the idea of changing the closet transoms into one window! If we centered the dormer above the front door wouldn't it look akward in relation to the other dormer? Are you suggesting maybe a single door?
    The idea of a single arched doorway with sidelights may look fantastic. This part is so difficult for me!
    Thanks for the very helpful suggestions so far.

• worthy
    15 years ago

Those front dormers are driving me nuts. The designer centred them in the space but paid no attention to their relation to the front door. Drop them altogether or centre the entry, even if it means losing a little space in the front room, or use a large single door.

Same with the centre windows in the rear, where for no discernible reason, they're off by six inches.

I like the idea of a studio away from the main house. (I work at home with three very noisy children.) But 4 ft. wide?

Since you will have so much roof, go for an architectural shingle with some definition to it.

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

The dormers are roof elements so they should be located where they look right on the roof rather than aligning with something on a lower level under a porch roof. Such vertical relationships look more important in an elevation drawing than in the finished product. A perspective drawing would help a lot.

The curves of the dormer barrel roof and the window head should be carefully coordinated.

I would delete the gable vents and use eave and ridge vents if possible. They could be tall narrower windows.

I would avoid mixing brick with stone. If this is to be a "French inspired" house, you should use stone and/or stucco.

What is the purpose of the cupola over the garage? Why doesn't it have louvers? Such a small one would look better with a copper (or zinc coated copper) roof rather than asphalt shingles. It should have a purpose or at least appear to have one.

The transoms are too short over the doors and when they occur elsewhere they appear out of place in a masonry wall. Small windows in masonry are traditionally taller than they are wide to reduce the masonry lintel size. Making the masonry work appear authentic is extremely important. If you want to add interest to the facade use small square windows or ones taller than they are wide and possibly at different heights or spaced irregularly. You could switch the shower and the toilet so there would be a small square window behind the toilet. A window can work well in a shower but not one this small. No closet needs two windows. Don't chop up the masonry; let it be strong.

For aesthetic and functional reasons, I would get this house off the ground a bit more. If the carport and porch slabs are at the same height as the first floor you will have water problems.

The large windows seem too large and too many. It seems visually odd to me to put them so close to the floor/ground. I think the shutters should be sized right or omitted.

If you want a traditional/romantic/eclectic style house you need to be more faithful to the past. If you want a more contemporary style house you need to make more of a break with the past.

Here is a link that might be useful: barrel dormer

• persnicketydesign
    15 years ago

I don't like the windows in the closet either. I'm a big fan of symetry and the whole front entry is throwing me off. Can you get rid of the bump out for those closet windows and center the front door? Put a single window on either side of the door and flank them with your closets. Voila! I just turned the entry to your house into mine. LOL Of course I'm kidding, but the general idea is the same. I'd put your windows closer to the door, though.

I agree with those above who said to raise the house off the ground. I think that using larger shutters will solve the majority of the problem with the large windows, but if at all possible they need to be raised a bit too.

The vents look crammed in up at the top of the gable. I like MA's idea of using hip & ridge vents with tall windows to help balance that area. If that's not an option for you, what about using large round vents instead?

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

It might be worthwhile to order the catalogs from Jack Arnold.

Here are some photos of windows in France. There are basically 3 different types of buildings.

The oldest and most rural (farm buildings) are uncoursed stone. The window openings are simple and always in-swing casements with full shutters. Dormers are simple, often hipped.

The oldest town buildings are mostly stucco on masonry backup mixed with uncoursed stone. The window openings usually have a cut stone perimeter and full shutters but some have bi-fold shutters that fold up against the jambs.

The third is the buildings in Paris which are mostly 2nd Empire. There the buildings are often cut stone or stucco, The windows are still in-swing casements with full shutters (they really use the shutters in France). Most of the roofs are in the Mansard style with small dormers. This is where you see barrel roofed dormers which are often covered with lead-coated copper.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jack Arnold

• solie
    15 years ago

I would go with a detached garage and storage/studio.

I don't think it looks good with the long, low wing off the main structure and it's not like you have a convenient entry into a kitchen or mudroom from the carport anyway.

What are the thoughts behind the secondary door near the master?

• jimandanne_mi
    15 years ago

Why would you want the utility room to block the view and natural light that the kitchen might otherwise have? I'd move the utility room to in front of the master bed room closet and bath, push the master bed room suit back and rework that whole area. I'd connect the kitchen and carport using the utility room, and add a powder room there.

Anne

• jimandanne_mi
    15 years ago

What is the little room in the front of the living room?

I'd make the window in the 3rd bedroom a double.

I wouldn't want the door to the master bed room so close to the kitchen. Often, either DH or I will be in bed, when the other one decides to go forage in the kitchen late at night or early in the morning. You have the other bedrooms nicely separated from the living areas; can you do the same for your bedroom?

Anne

• marthaelena
    15 years ago

I know you are pleased with your floorplan but maybe you want to rethink the location of the utility room that blocks the kitchen from getting a window and also the distance between the portecochere to the pantry.
    What is that room next to the entry? I am ok with you wanting a portecochere.

About the elevation:
    I do not underestand why someone (designer or owner) would spend so much money on a full stone house, that is a lot more expensive than brick (and please, do not tell us that you want a fake stone) and then place a cheap line roof that looks boxy, too horizontal and low, when the inspiration from an european home is the opposite (see the european homes in eplans, 99% of them are taller roof lines).

I love the european flair, even if I personally like clean lines, I am a romantic and I like the french/european/cottage style (and many other styles) but I agree with mighty on this:
    ..."If you want a traditional/romantic/eclectic style house you need to be more faithful to the past. If you want a more contemporary style house you need to make more of a break with the past".

I vote for the second.

I will try to bring an idea this afternoon but let me know before if you are able to make minor changes in the foot print of the house or if you are married to the floorplan -also if you want to spend more in the roof line.

• marthaelena
    15 years ago

these are local houses pictures.
    the first one has a bit of a break in the style, meaning that if you see this house you will not think that you are walking on one of the streets of a village in france.
    That is why I prefer not being to being too faithful to the style because the house will become a lie if you know what I mean.
    the second one has some elements similar to yours but it does not go too matchy matchy with the windows.
    I love the cider shingle roof (yeah, the romantic in me) but see, they used brick and is still fine.

• chisue
    15 years ago

You tell us you are building on a slab and you have not shown us any second story floor plan -- yet there are stairs on your plan that go up from the back BR hallway and down from the front BR hallway.

If you have room (26 acres), by all means get rid of the 'motel drive-through' carport and build a separate studio. You can build a connecting covered walkway to the house if you wish.

I'm still unhappy with the plan's distance between parking and kitchen, the interior kitchen -- well actually that whole end of the house. I like the ideas put forward by jimandanne for pushing the MBR suite back, adding a powder room, placing the utility room and entrance off a garage/studio. (Where will family entering the house from parking go to use a toilet?)

Perhaps you could tell us where you are building and who will live in the house (family makeup).

(Sorry for typo's. My right index finger was bitten by a spider three weeks ago and is still inflamed.)

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

New romantic eclectic European country style cottages/houses are made up almost entirely of lies so you can't really worry about how close to the original you get. I have traveled all over France and have never seen anything like these houses. They are properly called "French inspired" by knowledgeable American architects.

By using stone and brick I would think this design is closer in style to a traditional English Cotswold cottage.

I think if you are going to make something look convincingly traditional you need to at least decide what part of history you want to emulate. Then why not use real buildings that have survived from that period for inspiration?

Here is a link that might be useful: Cotswold cottage

• jeniferrlynne
    Original Author
    15 years ago

First Thank you for all the responses. They really are helpful, though my head is spinning.

I don't have a problem at all going to a single front door. This may alleviate some of the concerns with the dormer...

Mighty anvil are you saying the dormers shouldn't be aligned with the door or perhaps it should be a secondary consideration at least?

"The curves of the dormer barrel roof and the window head should be carefully coordinated" -Yikes I may need help with this. Do you have any design rules that could help with this?
    It seems like an easy fix to get rid of current vents and do the other mentioned.

I am leaning towards an allover brick exterior material. Either something similar to Boral's 17th century selection or a brick with smeared mortar like a picture I will attach.

To address the pantry laundry in front,
    I don't want to use our laundry as a walk through (believe me) I want the pantry accessible from the kitchen of course so there it went. I do spend enough time in there unfortunately. We are adding a window to the kitchen to have full view of the 2nd entry, though I lose some cabinet space, I feel it will be worth it. Also we hope large windows on the backside of the house (with the better view) would also add some great light.

I also like the idea of taller roof lines, what pitch would you suggest?

I only have some of the plan on my email. The rest is on paper only :( that is why the bonus room is missing.
    However I can at least tell you there is a 16ish x 17ish bonus room above the 3rd Bedroom/closets/saferoom area.
    and the living ceiling is more cathedral style, rather than the vaulted as shown.
    I also like the idea of raising the house up. The question would be how much?

Reversing the toilet and shower in our room would be no problem. I am still unconvinced about moving my utility but understand the concerns.
    The front room next to the entry is an office of sorts, though it won't be a formal one by any means. I need to be able to house bills, coupons,computer etc. My husband will have a studio regardless of what we do, and also has his work office. We almost added a powder room but the idea of another toilet to clean almost killed me.

I know some of the changes would send us back to the drawing board unfortunately but at least I have some solid ideas and good vocabulary to help address the issues.

Some pics for inspiration

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspiration pic

• jimandanne_mi
    15 years ago

My mother lived in an English Cotswold cottage style house that had the same carport/garage, master bedroom/bath, and then the kitchen as yours has, but with a less convoluted entry to the kitchen. It was not a convenient layout, so I was always mentally redesigning it.

I would have a fully window-enclosed hall/plant area from the car area directly to the kitchen. Where you have now decided to put a window, is where a door most naturally would go. You could put low plant/book shelves along this hall window wall, and 7' tall closets with 12" x 12" glass block windows over them (I'm assuming your walls are at least 9' tall--and your present windows in this area are not a positive for your front elevation) and deep cabinets on the opposite wall. I'm assuming you can always use more storage! There are pictures of deep cabinets used as storage in a hall in a bed & bath room remodel in the new (Sept?) issue of This Old House.

I can understand that you don't want to walk thru your laundry room from the outdoors (I didn't want to either). But you could put the laundry where you now have the entrance through your bedroom. If you bump the master bath wall back so it's even with the back bedroom wall, you'd have more room in the front to play around with for a powder room. A powder room by the garage entrance is one of the most used rooms in our house. You could get rid of one toilet to clean by having just one in with the tub in the j&j baths.

You could then move the carport/studio unit back so it lines up with the back wall of the master bedroom/bathroom. This would allow for a much needed break in the roof line.

You could pick up some kitchen cabinet space by extending the wall of the office/kitchen 2-4' into the living room, which would also make the kitchen a little less visible when coming into the living room from the front door. It looks like you have about 5' between your cabinets and island, so you could move the island about 1' to the right, and put floor to ceiling 1' deep cabinets along the left wall--LOTS of great storage. Then I'd move the DW to the left of the sink, and extend the island seating area around the end. In fact, it looks like you have enough room to have a really neat shape for that end of your island countertop--maybe have it curve out larger than the rest of the island. And if you move the laundry room and put in enough windows across the front of the kitchen, those seated at the counter would have a nice view of the outdoors instead of the fridge and range.

Speaking of windows, I also am having a hard time understanding the window sizing. You're going to put a 3' high (minimum) washtub in front of THAT window??? You're going to have what I assume will be a kid's bedroom with a window almost down to the floor? Seems to me it would be a safety issue with kids of any age, the way they horse around. I guess with 26 acres privacy doesn't matter, or the blinds will always be down? You're going to have all that light when using computers from what are large windows for a small room? Why are the 2nd bath and 4th bedroom windows on the left wall glass block and so small? Sorry to be so blunt, but the whole thing just doesn't compute!

BTW, which way is north, and what kind of climate are you designing for?

Anne

• chisue
    15 years ago

OK, Anne and I are 'on the same page' here...since we've decided to redesign YOUR house! LOL

The powder room in the back hall between our garage and kitchen is THE most used facility in the house. My hall has the laundry to one side of the door to the garage and a big closet and the powder room to the other side. (You don't walk *through* the laundry.) I love the proximity of kitchen to garage when unloading groceries. It's much easier to clean that toilet than to clean up the trail from garage door to a toilet in the opposite end of the house.

jenniferrlynne, your picture of the garage looks a LOT like my garage, with the rough brick, arched doors and lanterns. We have a 10/12 pitch roof, if that's a help. We have a very low-setting house, too. I don't see that as a problem. It's a boon for anyone handicapped.

Since the listing you showed us is in Austin, I'm guessing that's where you are building. I don't object to the low-set, arched-top windows. I was unhappy with the rooms they served. They will be very expensive if they are simulated true divided lights and if they must have safety glass because they are within 18" of the floor. It's also hard to place furniture in rooms where they take up a whole wall.

Seeing the listing makes me think about resale. I think you would be better off with a real garage. It doesn't have to be in line with the house. It could be attached via a covered walkway, or angled. Ours is at a 120-degree angle to the house.

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

The windows are too close to the floor but the building code will not require them to contain tempered glass unless each pane is larger than 9 s.f. or near a door. That does not appear to be the case here.

It's fine to help with the exterior design but making significant changes to the floor plan requires more knowledge of the owner's needs and preferences than can be discovered in a chat forum. It's best to go back to the designer and take another pass at it.

• worthy
    15 years ago

Everything I can find about French provincial style is that it is square and symmetrical--as in ma's wonderful photos.

This thread illustrates the difference between adapting a stock design and employing a knowledgeable architect.

• jeniferrlynne
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I realized I didn't answer some questions about us. This will be the forever home as in no plans of moving. We are a busy,youngish growing family of 4 (our kids are currently 2 and 7months with hopes of more). We live in central Oklahoma just up the road from soonermagic (home posted in this forum) and ironically the same state as Jack Arnold designs! That must be why so many homes here are influenced by his design. So wind, hot-humid summers. Not a lot of snow, but ice storms at least once a year. Safe-room for the obvious reasons of living in this area.
    Lots of informal entertaining families with kids, bible studies, birthday parties,... A few slightly more formal large group entertaining (bridal showers, baby showers, staff-wives dinners).

Still considering some floorplan ideas presented and seeing if they fit our needs. It looks as though we are definitely removing entire carport/studio area to separate area and can easily switch master shower and toilet, with no reservations.
    All exterior suggestions are being noted .

• jeniferrlynne
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OH and the house faces south/southwest , to give you some perspective.

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

I would use rustic stone gable end walls and wood shingles elsewhere with double-hung and awning windows (no casements).

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh, MightyAnvil-those are gorgeous!

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

May I ask where the first one (with the blue trim) is located?

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

The brick and stone house is part of an old farm that has been turned into a hotel called La Ferme Saint Simeon on a hill just outside of the port of Honfleur in Normandy, France. Most of the buildings in Honfleur and the main hotel building are entirely covered with slate shingles but the main cathedral in the city is covered with cedar shingles.

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

This is the town of Honfleur. The guys eating lunch had been working on the road in front of the restaurant.

• jeniferrlynne
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow just now able to get back to this thread tonight. Amazing Mightyanvil, Thanks for the suggestions and pictures. I still have a real fondness for brick but your stone pics are truly amazing. I know pricewise brick is more affordable for us. I love wood shingles but honestly don't know the cost, care, etc. when compared to other roof materials.

I have a number for another architect locally. I am nervous of course but am hoping this won't cost me a fortune and wondering if they would be comfortable working with another person's floorplan. Nothing is in stone yet just hoping to get something going soon.

• pattiem93
    15 years ago

Thank you-just amazing!

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

jeniferrlynne
    I have often been given a floor plan from another source but it has never taken long to develop a better one. That's just my experience; the ability of architects differs quite a bit. It's a matter of starting with a design and modifying it for your needs or starting with your needs and developing the plan. The latter approach should be one of the reasons you hire an architect. Don't take a sandwich to a banquet.

• mightyanvil
    15 years ago

jeniferrlynne

I was suggesting cedar shingles as a rustic but lower cost alternative to brick. Put the stone on the front gables and shingles elsewhere like the famous white shingle and stone house by David Adler shown above.

Be cautious about partially covering brick with mortar or stucco or with rustic or high shadow joint treatments. The surface of brick must be maintained as a weathering surface to prevent excess water getting into the cavity and that means the joints must be hard tooled with a narrow concave steel trowel. Don't spend that much money on brick and end up with a high maintenance wall. You could even consider James Hardie's fiber-cement shingles or large thick red cedar shakes.

I'm renovating a 1920's colonial with soft "used" brick and struck but not tooled joints. The wall bows out here and there from freeze thaw of excessive water in the masonry veneer. The outer face of many of the bricks has spawled off. I have recommended removing all of the brick from the back of the house and covering it with rigid insulation board and red cedar shingles. We'll have to continue to patch and repoint the front and sides. I try to avoid working on brick houses but this one is for a friend.

• summerfielddesigns
    13 years ago

• summerfielddesigns
    13 years ago