SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ralphv_gw

Am I crazy for considering this type of construction?

ralphv
15 years ago

I live in the mountains of Western Virginia where we usually have hot humid summers and winter can be hit or miss but rarely mild unless it's only for a day or two at a tine. If it old man hits with a vengeance we can have several consecutive days of temps that hover around 15 degrees and it isn't rare to have a few that are sub zero. Since I'm considering building a new house and with the price of fuel and electric rates (which will jump almost 20% for my area next month) I'm on the verge of having exterior walls built of 2x10 lumber and fill those 10 inches (actually about 8 3/4 inches) with custom fit styrofoam panels between the wall studs or having them filled with blown in expanding foam.

I realize that my exterior door and window frames and sills will look very odd (deeply set in from the finished interior walls compared to standard 2x4 or 2x6 construction. Their depth will take some getting used to but if I can heat and cool my home at substantial savings I'm willing to go with the unconventional framing.

What is your opinion on this possibility? What pitfalls or problems can I expect going this route? Anybody else have first hand experience or knowledge on this method? Any replies, suggestions or horror stories are welcomed. I just want to be cool in the summer and warm in the winter and not have to take out a second mortgage to accomplish that.

For what it's worth, I will have at least one wood burning stove in the house or possibly a freestanding propane stove to supplement either a heat pump or propane whole house heating system. I'm looking at house plans of 1800-2200 sq.ft.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Comments (15)