SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
athensmomof3_gw

Audio visual questions

athensmomof3
12 years ago

We met with the a/v guy and got the impression that what he envisioned (touch screens in walls, touch screen remotes, enterprise router (we have a big house and are finishing the basement so now it is even bigger), etc.) is way more than we want/need. To give you an idea, we have no flat screen tvs, no hd tvs, and our tivo just broke (which we love and will replace - 8 years old). We are not technical people or gadget people and the idea of touch screens is way much for us.

We do have an electronics closet set up in our new build and would like to:

1. run enough wires to future proof the build to some degree

2. listen to music in a few zones (preferably without a wall keypad - I have a logitech squeezebox which would be fine for that)

3. Receive digital cable on multiple tvs without set top boxes (two tvs mounted above fireplace (screened porch and basement) so we want no boxes, wires, etc. there). Golf Channel is now in the digital range for us and so this is a must.

4. Watch dvr from multiple rooms (the av guy tried to sell us on a digital video distribution system which was thousands and thousands of dollars and we are not doing that!! Do like the concept though).

I know some of this is possible old school - I had speakers on my porch 15 years ago which I ran through my crawlspace. I am fine opening a cabinet to turn something on. I am also fine with dvrs next to tvs in most areas except the screened porch and we wont watch movies there anyway. . .

I am so naive about what is possible and I feel like in a few years all will run on a home network and so all these boxes and stuff will be completely outdated. . .

Any thoughts about the most economical way to achieve this? I want to have some information before I talk again to the av guy . . . who is wiring the house and is basically wanting to sell us a bunch of stuff. I also want to be sure we are wired for what we want to do, rather than all this extra stuff. . .

Comments (18)