SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hazmatt_gw

contract questions

hazmatt
14 years ago

I'm new to this forum, just beginning to get ready to build a new house for the first time and utterly ignorant. Before we can get started, we have a couple of contract issues that need to be resolved and I wondered if anyone here had any good ideas about them or (in my dreams) actual sample phrasing we could propose. We did take the GC's contract to our lawyers, but before we go back to them I thought I'd ask here. The two questions:

1. Rather than have the GC give us notarized lien waivers from each and every sub (our lawyer's language, which the GC said was unduly onerous to lots of smaller-scale subs who *never* do that kind of paperwork), the GC wants to have everything go through a Mechanic's Lien Agent working on behalf of our lender. The GC's proposed language requires that only subs who have registered with the MLA must submit lien waivers to the MLA. Does this seem like a reasonable replacement? What about subs who have not registered with the MLA? Does the bank usually require all subs, or all whose work will come in at over $x,000, to register? Should we insist on getting copies of some written form of release from all subs?

2. He had an "Indemnification" clause which stated that he's not liable for anything, no matter what, even if the house is not inhabitable. We obviously thought that was not okay. Our lawyer replaced that clause with one that says WE are not liable for anything, no matter what. The GC thinks THAT is not okay. Do any of you have any language to this effect in your contract that covers both parties equally? What if we just took it out altogether?

I have no idea if what I'm asking here breaches either an ethical or an actual law (copyright? intellectual property?) -- if so, apologies to all, I promise it's in full innocence. And I'm not trying to avoid paying the lawyers what they're due: I'm trying to find a common ground with the GC without endless loops of legal advice and without being stupid by opening us up to future problems.

thanks in advance to all

Comments (12)