SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kateskouros

can we discuss paint colors please?

kateskouros
13 years ago

let me just say i'm going NUTS over here trying to pick my colors! i have some nailed down for rooms that i have furniture/rugs/draperies selected but i'm trying to select a very quiet neutral to use throughout the house: in public spaces as well as rooms i'm not ready to decorate yet.

i am normally very good with color ...no, really! i worked as a graphic designer for 17 years and very frequently people would hire me to do color specifically. i know it, i understand it. i've also lived in/renovated/decorated our first home without any problems ...well, not with paint!

so here's the thing: the new house is just 20' behind the temporary house we're living in and both have plenty of windows/light sources from all directions. yet when i try a color in the new house (after putting the same color in the temp house) i'm getting much WARMER tones. i fell in love with BM elmira white since it's kind of a grayish/stone color; not cold and not beige. i ran over, brush in hand and started painting large samples. i took a step back and it's BEIGE. it's nothing like the color in the other house. i tried several other colors and it's the same thing.

and now i'm wondering: do you think the protective window film on my andersen 400's might have something to do with it? i've been staring at the walls for a month now. i WANT elmira white in the new house but i want it the way it LOOKS in the old house!

guidance, wisdom please...

Comments (8)