SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mojavean

Why I went with the Miele (coffee system) Caution: LONG

mojavean
14 years ago

Howdy all,

After much thought and looking around we finally settled on a built in coffee system for our kitchen remodel. I reckoned that anyone going through the same thing might enjoy reading about the thought process that finally brought us to the decision to buy the Miele unit.

First some history: I saw the first generation Miele coffee systems on the internet back around 2000. When they became available down in Los Angeles at some fancy-schmantzy appliance retailers, we took the time to go take a look at them in person. Sadly, the layout of our kitchen at that time very much precluded a built-in or I would have had them load one into my truck after taking my first sip.

A built-in unit was out of the question. But what I did do was set about on an espresso machine quest that led me through several different machines, all countertop models. One day a few years ago my sister bought a countertop super-automatic coffee machine. For those unfamiliar with the term, a super automatic is Euro parlance for a coffee machine that takes whole beans and grinds them, compresses them, makes you a cup of coffee or espresso with them, and then disposes of the "coffee puck" into an internal bin. All you do (besides routine maintenance) is keep water and roasted coffee beans in the machine and periodically empty the spent coffee bin and the drip tray. Your coffee is made for you automatically. All you have to do is set your cup under the spout and push the right button.

Now, if this does not sound appealing to you, I am not sure that you should continue to read the rest of this. I am going to say things that a coffee geek or purist will probably not like. If you happen to think that it is necessary to go through all the labors and terrors of manual machines in order to get a cup worth drinking all I can say is more power to you and best of luck. For me, what I want in the morning is simplicity. I desire no tedium, no yanking, no pulling, no scalding, no complex routines. I want to push a button and have a fresh brewed coffee issue forth from the spigot as if by magic. Then, I want the grounds to be disposed of discretely and have the machine ready for another cycle on the PDQ. That is what a super automatic does. That is what that first Miele unit I saw down in LA did. And that is what my current espresso machine does. The only problem is that it takes up precious counter space. Well, finally, the kids are all out of school and on their own and it is time for us to rehab our kitchen. So guess the very first new appliance we bought? Yeah, the Miele.

I was torn, though. Nowadays there are a few different makers of built in super automatics, many of which I investigated. The first subset of machines I looked at are the ones based upon the Electrolux Icon machine. Dacor, Thermador, Gaggenau, Kuppersbusch, all sell (or sold, that is) a variant of this machine. I have found them for as cheap as $900 brand new on the web. The problem is that I could not seem to find ONE GOOD REVIEW of any of them. A common thread that seems to accompany nearly any consumer write up of the Electrolux units was that they burn out or leak. Also, just about every single one of the OEM units are discontinued, too. Not very reassuring, even if we are talking about saving 1500 dollars or more on one of them.

They certainly are handsome, though.

Next I looked at the Ariston which can be found at liquidation prices also. This is quite a different design from the Electrolux units, not nearly as deep. Sadly, I could not take a look at the Ariston in person as the whole company seems to have disappeared in the USA. Again, not confidence inspiring.

Bosch makes their own model of coffee system, the Benvenuto built in. This one I seriously considered. I have a personal great track record with Bosch stuff dating from the early 70s and am predisposed to giving them a shot when it comes to appliances. But the problem with the Bosch unit is that the water reservoir has to be lifted out of the machine while you have it out on rails. I intend to mount the machine closer to eye level than waist level and do not want anyone to have to climb up on a stool just to put water in the machine.

Now the Miele. We took a look at one of the later generation models (the CVA4070) down at an appliance dealer in Los Angeles. That model is on its way out in favor of the next generation machine, but it immediately caught my eye in terms of design. The machine does not need to be pulled out on rails in order to be serviced. The whole front panel is a hinged door that one simply opens to reveal all of the user serviceable/fillable items in the machine. The coffee bean hopper, the fresh water tank, the used coffee bin and the ground coffee bypass container are all right there and are pulled straight out of the machine to fill or empty as the case may be. The drip tray pulls straight out of the machine also. Once all of these containers are removed, all you have left is the brew group, easily removed for cleaning at the flip of a latch. The pumps and thermoblock boilers are concealed behind a panel and out of the way of injury by careless or untrained operators.

I liked the layout so much that I considered buying the demo machine in the store. The trouble was that it had been pretty heavily used and the inside was skanky looking, the bin full of old grounds. Also, since this Miele was obviously the most advanced and best designed of all the machines I had evaluated, it occurred to me that I might want to investigate the even newer models now on sale, the CVA4062 and CVA4066. The difference between the two newest models is that the CVA4066 can be direct plumbed for fresh water so that carrying a water tank across the kitchen isn't necessary.

And that is what we finally settled on. The CVA4066. I found a good deal on one on eBay and we are now waiting for it to arrive, along with the cabinets that it is intended to go into. I feel pretty good about the purchase. We've been using a super automatic espresso machine for several years now and I know what it takes to keep them clean and running. And one look at the design of the Miele tells me that they have given more thought to the proper design of a built in coffee machine than anyone else I was able to find. So now it is simply a waiting game to get it installed and tested. I will post a follow up review on this forum once I get it up and running. Meanwhile, thank you for sticking with me this far and if you have any questions I will try to answer them for you.

Cheers,

Scott

Comments (13)