SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtlalex_gw

Hood: power req'd for pro-style range

mtlalex
15 years ago

Hi all,

Seeking input from the experts here:

Finally getting around to re-doing the kitchen. Just picked up a 30" DCS DF range, and I need to figure out what to do for the hood. The house sits right on the property line, so if I put the vent out the wall behind the range, it will blow directly on the neighbors deck. The alternative is to run it up an un-used chimney in the corner of the kitchen.

If I go that route, I suspect that the most I can fit up the chimney is is a 6" vent pipe. I haven't pulled the chimney cap off yet, but I'd be very surprised if I could get an 8" liner down it. In addition, I'm probably looking at 17 ft of run and two 90 degree bends in this scenario.

The guy at the local high-end appliance store suggested a 300CFM Vent-a-Hood - said that it's on the low side but just adequate. That seems to be about the most powerful hood I can get that uses a 6" pipe.

I suppose that it is on the inadequate side, but anything is better than nothing. Flip side is that in winter when it's minus 20 out, running a high-capacity hood essentially means pumping 1200 CFM of unheated air into the house, which isn't a good idea anyway, so maybe 300CFM is not so bad.

So - how much of a problem am I looking at? I suppose I could get the 600CFM hood, and reduce the vent down to 6" - I don't know if that would actually get me any extra capacity, or just make a bunch more noise.

Thoughts?

Comments (4)