SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carlylake

New KitchenAid oven - broil element on when baking

carlylake
16 years ago

My new Kitchenaid wall oven (KEBS177SS) was installed last week, and so far I've used it (in thermal mode) twice. Each time the outer broiler element came on from time to time during the baking period. As a result the pizza was browned and dried out on the top, and the cake (from a mix I've used for years) didn't rise much. Is suspect this is because the top was set before it had finished rising).

Is it usual in new ovens for the broiler element to be activated during baking? If anyone reading has a newer oven of another brand, please let me know if this is the case with yours.

My previous oven, a Thermador, definitely did not do this, and neither have any of the other three or four ovens I've owned over the years.

I called Kitchenaid and they said "it's normal", and not to use foil or anything to sheild the food from the broiler.

I don't know what to do. Otherwise I'm happy with this oven, and since it was custom built-in, I hesitate to return it.

BTW, the convection mode worked well for cookies, but I understand it doesn't do as good a job with cakes.

Advice very much appreciated!

Carly

Comments (14)