SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenc511

Help with awkward bathroom!

jenc511
16 years ago

I love my new apartment. It's a large 1-bedroom with two walk-in closets, a linen closet, and a hall/coat closet. Storage galore! Right? Not in the bathroom. My bathroom is horribly awkward. I can barely fit a trash can in there. I need ideas for economical storage solutions for the items I want readily available. The vanity is so small, I'd prefer to keep a minimum of things on it (also makes cleaning less of a hassle). I want to be able to grab lotion, face wash, BF's shaving stuff, etc. without too much digging. Keeping things under the sink doesn't work for me. I would prefer mostly open (not 100%) storage just to keep the place from seeming even smaller. I do need at least some concealed storage because deodorant, toothpaste, etc. is ugly to me, but I can keep things like tweezers and Q-tips in "pretty" containers. The "linen closet" is directly across the hall from the bathroom, so many items that see less frequent use can hang out in there.

No comments on the lack of color, please. :) I am a reformed slob and the white shows everything, inspiring me to clean. I am definitely not a "white" person, but it forces me to keep the bathroom very clean. The lighting is also very harsh, but I'm currently hunting for a bulb that will fit in the 250v ceiling socket and provide softer lighting (everything I've found locally seems to be either heat lamps or flood lamps - the bulb in the bathroom when we moved in literally burned the tops of our heads!). The ugly vanity lighting has to stay, though.

Here it is from the doorway (it's too small to take decent pictures of the "whole thing" inside). My trash can is sandwiched between the tub and the toilet. You can see the huge mirror that takes up a ton of wall space, otherwise, I could use the space over the toilet for something:

{{gwi:1481158}}

This is what drives me the most crazy. The towel bar is directly over the toilet paper holder, so you have to move towels aside to access the toilet paper. I bought an over the door towel rack and have resigned myself to just keeping hand towels on the bar. I would have preferred to just remove the towel bar and put up towel hooks, but the towel bar is affixed to the tile. I can spackle some holes, but I am not messing with the tile:

{{gwi:1481159}}

This is the space above the sink, next to the door:

{{gwi:1481160}}

I am trying to figure out something that isn't too deep, so I'm not constantly whacking my head on it while I brush my teeth or banging into it while exiting the shower. I need something, but can't decide if I need two wall-mounted somethingorothers or if one will suffice. I'm finding lots of storage options, but most of them seem like they might be too deep.

Any suggestions?

Comments (3)