SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txjay

Miele Dishwasher - Cutout Question

Txjay J
11 years ago

I have an older house with granite counters and a old & dead dishwasher. No worries, I thought; just buy a new one. Unfortunately my counter height does not accomodate almost every dishwasher sold. Miele is the one company with a dishwasher that might fit.

If I look at Miele's spec sheets and compare them to the installation instructions the minimum cutout y values are different. The installation instructions list two values for the minimum height from floor to counter top in Box 1 and Box 1a. One value is in bold font, the other value is in a grey font and the lower left corner of each box is labeled *XXL in the grey font. (Link below)

I have searched the web and can only find the XXL designation for dishwashers sold in the UK or Australia. Miele, through 2 different represetatives, gave me 2 different answers. I phoned 2 Miele dealers locally and received 2 different answers from them also.

Why should this matter? Well, the floor tile to the edge of the granite measures 34 12/16". If the bold numbers are the cutout y values, no worries. If the grey numbers are the actual cutout y values then the granite edge is 1/16" too low. The old dishwasher looks like the previous owner removed the dishwasher's "feet" (sitting on the slab) and the tile to install the dishwasher.

Does anyone know the answer; is the minimum height 32 1/6" or 33 11/16"? Why would Miele even list 2 values? I would like to think one set is for the overseas people, but the units are not metric. My only other thought is that the bold values are for the ADA compliant dishwashers, but then why the *XXL designation.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help/facts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Installation Instruction

Comments (7)