SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
constantinople_gw

Capital Wall Oven DOA

constantinople
12 years ago

We installed three single Capital Wall ovens in our new build and ran into a few issues. For one thing we were shipped two different versions of the same oven. The difference is that the moist drawer in one oven has a thumb screen, whereas the other has a magnetic latch. After contact Capital, we were told that the thumb screw is an older revision of the oven. They would no agree to do anything about it -- just the luck of the draw. We received two newer revisions and one older. Oh well.

In one kitchen we have two single ovens and the third oven is in a separate kitchen. In the kitchen with two ovens, we had been using one oven with no problem (although I am not convinced about the evenness of the cooking). We finally had a need to use the second oven and after using the oven for about 30 minutes it began to make a loud noise, which over the next 5 minutes became an unbearable screeching. I had to finally throw the circuit breaker. I sent a video of the problem to Capital and received a quick response from one of the tech / designers. The designer said it was the oven cooling fan and that a "magnet had come loose." If you want to hear what that sounds like, follow the link below.

Anyways, he said service would contact me to resolve the situation. Two days later, I have not heard from service. I wrote this morning and was assured that service would call me, but at this point I haven't heard anything.

Considering I received an old model and had this problem, I was kind of hoping they would offer to replace, but perhaps that is unrealistic.

I will keep the forum updated.

C.

Here is a link that might be useful: Screeching Capital!

Comments (92)

• mindstorm
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Marcolo beat me to the elephant in the room - er, in the OP's complaint.

So, I'll just move on to the other lesser points that show a lack of appreciation for customer awareness.

(1) OP bought 3 ovens of the same make and model. Ostensibly so that in use he/she doesn't have to recalibrate how she interacts with the thing depending on which oven they are going to at that moment in time. Capital's own representative up-thread has said that there is a difference between the 2 latch designs from an "ease of use perspective".
    When a customer chooses to purchase 2 separate ovens and they go for the same brand, it is so that they don't have to deal with 2 different responses or different interfaces when switching from one to the other. OP didn't buy 1 Capital and 1 Miele afterall - one would think Capital would understand that as would their dealers. It is different to someone buying one oven and getting an older or a newer generation - day-to-day they would never notice that.

Why so much fuss on the web is beyond me.
    Hopefully Captial understands now, but I won't hold my breath.

(2) Capital's mouthpiece here says: I am sure you are not in a huge rush as you have two other wall ovens to use. There's another uh capital offense in customer care parlance. OP bought 2 ovens for a house so it is less of a priority that their new ovens are operational??? Really!

Constantinople, so now you know why Capital's been so long getting back to you. You have another of their ovens to go to, so you are not as much of a priority as their other customers with screeching ovens. ;-)

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    12 years ago

Mindstorme.....the OP purchased 3 ovens while he / she is waiting for the already promised replacement he / she still has the ability to cook in more than most, that is what I was trying to say in my post, I apologies if it reads different.

BTW I find "Capitals Mouthpiece" below the belt, having said that due to the so called "Capital Mouthpiece" the OP received communication regarding the replacement today.

• Related Discussions

Capital Maestro Wall Oven

Q

Comments (3)
    Sorry I didn't see this question sooner for you, but in case anyone else is searching for info on the Maestro Wall Oven, I will post my experience. We have had a Capital Maestro single wall oven for over 4 months now and I have been very happy with it. We had an initial problem with the temperature display which I reported on another post here--possibly where you got the idea there were problems with the display--but it turned out to be a faulty control panel, which was immediately replaced at no cost to us. Although my email to customer service did not get a response, a phonecall to customer service was acted upon promptly. We talked to a technician who identified the problem correctly and shipped us a replacement control panel. We received it in about a week. The new control panel works great and is very bright and easy to read. The controls work differently than other ovens I've used because they are optical controls and rotate to the settings instead of punching buttons through a menu. Bakes beautifully, which was important to me. I personally have not used the roasting feature so can't comment on that, but day to day use has been fine. I also don't have any issue with the racks--I think they work well. They do not extend all of the way out, but I would rather they do that than extend out and tip over. Also, no problem with moving them from rack to rack, once you figure out how they work. You just grab them by the sides and rotate your hands slightly to disengage the rollers from the slots they roll along on the oven wall. So no one fixed roll out rack like Wolf because you can move them to any rack position. If my memory serves correctly (it's been a year), only one rack in the Wolf pulled all the way out and that was the very bottom rack which I never use, even with a turkey. In short, I personally think the product has been unfairly "dissed" and dismissed, but I do suggest you look at one to see if you like the operation.
    ...See More

capital range, therma-tek affiliation

Q

Comments (25)
    Personally I don't trust the kalsi family's business practises at all. There are too many sales of assetts, undermining agreements, and resignations, and just in general things that don't quite add up. First of all the sale of dcs had a typical anti competition clause in it, which surjit undermined by having his son(s) open capital. Then his son all sudden resignes for reasons that I can not understand considering that his successor (surjit) apparently had the same vision he had. Isn't the reason he resigned because his vision was out of sync with other principals in the business?!? When did surjit become president? I thought the letter said a president will be picked. Gee, you mean surjit was picked? Wow, I find that surprising. My money would have been lost if I was betting on that one!!! (I hope the sarcasm is read into that). I find the resignation letter extremely confusing, not to mention not very professional. He starts his letter off saying "he is pleased to announce"....pleased to announce what?!? That he is resigning? That he is leaving because he doesn't see eye to eye with the other principals of the business? Wouldn't it be a regret that you are leaving? It s the most poorly written resignation letter that I have ever witnessed. Some other things the kalsi's throw around don't sound kosher to me either. I think it was in the video of surjits induction to the hall of fame where he mentioned that his business venture when he left the united states to go back to india, failed because of the 1973 oil crisis. What I don't understand is how a product that runs on natural gas or propane is so negatively effected by a petroleum oil crissis? Did his products run on petro based fuel? Even if that was the case, the oil crissis was invented and executed by arab oil producing nations against the united states and its closest allies. As far as I know india was not greatly effected by an arab oil embargo. Other reasons I mistrust them is balogna that they spew like "I always put people before profits". Come on?!? Is capital a charitable organization? Profit for ANY company is the sole reason the company exists. And then surjits line "customers are his boss". But when a customer rubs him the wrong way he reams him out on a public forum.....last time I checked, doing that to your boss will likely land you at the end of the unemployment line. Sorry, but people lose credibility in my books when they put on airs and make claims that are ridiculous and or impossible.
    ...See More

CC Newly Delivered Range Top. Defects or Damange?

Q

Comments (30)
    Capital also verified, the the gaps are "normal" and not other parts are missing. Yah it does stink that i have to jury rig it. It seems this is a bug that came up after the range tops were put into production. Its way to much space for "easy removal of grates". Capital could have fixed the issue a number of ways. If they simply put indentions or cuts in the rails the grates sit on, that would stop them from sliding. On the back and sides they could have included 2 more trim pieces to stop the grates from sliding and filling the gap. Or they simply could have made another cast iron mold that allowed for a slightly larger edge on the grates to fill the gap and stop the sliding. for the cost of the addition we did the range top is a drop in the bucket, i dont think i want to go thru the hassle of trying to return it (it would need to be crated ect). The SS rods should help out a lot. It seems like a well built machine, other than the grates. There was some sloppy assembly on it. Burner knob bezels were not on correctly (the red line indicating off were upside down and at 90 degrees from top, the depth at which burner knobs are installed are not uniform, you can see into the shaft area on some which cant seem to be adjusted further. Not a big deal but on a unit that is so posed to be the best of everything, it was a bit of a disappointment. In capitals defense maybe these are growing pains.
    ...See More

Considering Capital Cooktop with a dacor wall oven

Q

Comments (1)
    Pindrop, Dacor ovens are good, but you might consider waiting until spring when Capital will have their own elecric wall ovens on the market. Thermador, Miele, and Wolf are also good choices. Good luck!
    ...See More
  • marcolo
    12 years ago

mindstorm, you beat me to another punch, so we're even.

I was going to say, "Who the eff are you to tell a customer she can get by with one oven?"

It's just another facet of the same arrogance that plays out in refusing to communicate. We know what we're up to, so we can't think of any reason why it's important to tell you.

• constantinople
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Plllog, your comments about CSR are fantastic, on point and expert. Thank you.

To the rest of you sending out support-vibes, thanks!

Now...to Surjit.

On August 30 I sent a private email detailing exactly what had happened up to that point and included a link to this thread. I received no response. This was quite different from pre-sales emails that you answered immediately. In any case, I thought you should be aware of the situation, but you chose not to respond.

On September 13 I requested an update to the situation. You were CCed on that email, which was also sent to an engineer and a CSR. To that email I received no response. Both emails were fact based and not vitriolic.

Today, you have decided to weigh in, but without taking into account the information you were already sent via private email, as well as the information contained within this thread (there is a link to a video somewhere in this thread as well for your listening pleasure).

Of course I understand that manufacturers make product updates, however three ovens purchased at the same time and received by me at the same time, should be the same. Period. When I inquired about that, I was told nothing could be done. I acquiesced. That proves either that I am a nice guy, or an idiot. Depends on how you look at it.

Then I actually turned the oven on and used it -- the oven was DOA. The rest is history -- a history which can be found in this thread.

And Capital did not take a "few" days to respond. Check out the timeline -- that doesn't look like a "few" to me.

Please don't make it appear as though Capital is going out of its way to replace an oven over a screw on the moist drawer. I made that request and was denied -- even though, in my estimation it was a valid request. And insulting the intelligence of the highly informed members of GardenWeb (myself excepted), is not a wise move. You won't be able to pull the wool over the eyes of this bunch.

C.

• llaatt22
    12 years ago

While not even a potential customer, the first thought that comes to mind is that the Chairman needs to look at his quality control testing procedures for ensuring incoming components from outside suppliers actually work when combined.

It's difficult to miss during testing when a fan motor and fan have insufficient clearance.
    Sending out stuff with untapped holes sounds like more of the same.

Too many chiefs, not enough Indians, or QA forms.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

The fish rots from the head first. In my view, the self-absorbed, customer-hating perspective offered by the CEO in this thread flatly rules Capital out of the question. Too bad. Seemed like a nice stove but not worth dealing with these kinds of people.

I think this single thread might crater the company.

• weissman
    12 years ago

Wrong again, Marcolo.

I, for one, see genuine concern from this CEO for both his products and customers. My current range is a DCS which was purchased when he was running DCS and although I'm not currently in the market for a range, if I were, the CC would be the top contender.

I've never seen the CEO from Miele pop onto this forum even when there were serious temperature issues with their ovens. I also don't see the CEO of GE or Bosch or any of the other large companies.

It's really easy to attach whatever interpretation you want to someone's post.

• histokitch
    12 years ago

Weissman, how on earth is Marcolo incorrect in this situation? Maybe you have the same difficulty with reading comprehension that seems to plague Mr. Kalsi. How could you interpret his response, which fails to answer the actual problem described and documented in the thread (and is furthermore full of bravado and anger at a customer), as anything positive? He seriously would have been better off keeping his fingers off his keyboard. I am certain I will never recommend this line to a client.

• weissman
    12 years ago

Ok - I'll grant you that he didn't specifically address the broken fan but a previous post by a Capital employee did AND they are in the process of replacing the oven. What he did explain was why there were slight upgrades in the models and he did apologize for not responding as quickly as the OP would have liked. My reading comprehension is just fine, thank you for asking.

To be honest, having worked in business for a long time I can fully appreciate that people's priorities vary. I remember one time after interviewing a candidate for a position, I started getting phone messages every day asking if I had made a decision, which I hadn't. I appreciated that to the candidate this was his highest priority but I had lots of things going on at the time and it wasn't mine.
    Patience is really a virtue.

From what I've read on this board about Capital's products and response to issues, I'm quite favorably impressed by the company as I was with DCS. Sorry if you disagree.

• chas045
    12 years ago

Well, now I know what everyone else is doing on Friday nights. I have been following this thread with a mix of increasing anger over the misfortune of the fortunate and surprise at the apparent incompetence of an upscale business.

Unfortunately I must also admit schaedenfreud, but I also expect that those who can and do pay a premium should expect and get premium quality in all aspects of the company. I think it IS worth thanking the boss for personally jumping in here and letting everyone honestly know his views. Unfortunately it makes one wonder if he understands ANY aspect of his company. I suppose it may be style or design, but certainly not the engineering aspects, nor sales or public relations, or quality, or supply.

Speaking of supply: I would like to jump back to FriDay and weissmans comments. I had always thought of weissman as a wise man and thought of these as an aberration: while pointing out that the problems were both lack of communication and lack of delivery. Is this company waiting for coal to be mined before they make new merchandise? But now that I see that weissman has related merchandise, I guess it is just protecting a potentially embarrassing choice.

• User
    12 years ago

Wow, I am a bit shocked by all the vitriol. And I'm not sure it helps to getting a problem resolved.

The time line, from August through September, for an oven with a bad fan and and a bad replacement fan sent, with a promise of a new oven to be sent does not seem unreasonable. In fact, I think both parties have been fairly reasonable, but that the customer has been getting nervous since Sept. 1 when he was promised a new oven. And I guess that's natural.

While the customer has been able to speak to Capital, the dealer has been invisible. Capital also noted that their distributor was involved looking for a new oven that was already made, ready to ship and had the new door. No luck, none in stock, so the manufacturer will make a new oven.

Capital seems to be trying their best to get the customer another new wall oven, and serving as a retailer as well.

As I read these posts, I wonder why the customer doesn't or didn't know who the dealer was. I certainly think the customer has handled everything properly and maybe just needs an estimated date on when to expect the new wall oven.

• weissman
    12 years ago

>>>"I guess it is just protecting a potentially embarrassing choice" - What utter horsesh*t!! I have no horse in this race. My DCS range is 10 years old and in great condition and hardly an embarrassing choice - it's one of the best high end purchases I ever made and I love the sealed burners and simmer capabilities.

It's really hard to judge someone by a web post. I know of cases where people get angry over something that was really intended to be funny because you can't get intonations in a post they way you can in person.

It's funny how fickle this forum is - CC was the darling of the forum and now people are ready to boycott the company. For those of you who haven't noticed, Captial is REPLACING the OP's oven, not just repairing it - and in another thread they are replacing someone's grates and burner caps. Sorry, but I stand by my statements and owning a DCS has nothing to do with it.

• weissman
    12 years ago

thank you alexr - I may not be a wise man anymore :-) but you're still one of the most sensible people on this forum - I think you distilled the issues perfectly!

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

"What we've got here is failure to communicate."

• plllog
    12 years ago

Yep. That's what I was getting at in my overlong post above. Capital's big mistake in this whole thing is bad communication, especially not following up when they said they would. That, and being defensive over the mismatch.

Again, a well trained customer service rep would have apologized for the mismatched ovens, and offered a token, perhaps an extra rack or some other accessory as a mollifier. Just to make the customer feel better. And, after the fan problem, would have replied when promised, with a status update.

If C. had received a message on 9/9, as promised, or even on 9/10, saying that they were having trouble finding a replacement oven in inventory, and asking him to be patient while they manufactured new stock, I don't think he would be this angry.

• surjitkalsi
    12 years ago

To say that "My customer is my Boss. He pays my Bills. I make it my utmost priority to take care of my Customer". This is in no way an insult to a customer. It is giving the customer a high Honor by the CEO of the company. I am not minimizing the customer. In all the years I have been in the business I have taken the greatest care of mu customers. That is the reason why I have made my e-mail address so available to my customers that I care about them. You can call me any time at 562-903 - 1168 or e-mail me at surjitkalsi@msn.com. You will see that I personally get involve to serve the needs of my consumers. This is rare in the Corporate world. I am here to serve one and all of my gardenweb customers and all the Customers all the time. Your Oven is on the way to you.

• sandy808
    12 years ago

Mr. Kalsi, I feel it is great that you are responding to this thread. I would like to make a couple of points for you to give some thought to. I am a business owner and as such know there are always two sides to every story.

This person has obviously worked with a terrible dealer. As such, I feel this issue should be addressed since they are a representative of your company. I don't know who they are, but I sure wouldn't want someone like that representing me. A proper dealer would have taken care of this immediately and would have worked with your company so this customer wouldn't have had to.

You are correct that products do get changed and updated, and that it does not always mean the older product is inferior. However, if I were to purchase three of the same product, ordered at the same time, I would want them to all match. Exactly. If there was not stock available that totally matched, this should have been told to the customer and given the choice of including that one in the order or not.

This is a dealer issue and not what I consider should have been a manufacturer issue. When the dealer, who should be giving this customer good service, fails to do so, then all bets are off and the manufacturer needs to address this, as you now have. If a dealer did something like that to my company, you would bet they would no longer be one of my dealers. It makes for a very frustrated customer and puts a very bad taste in their mouth.

Now if another oven were ordered at a later date and was a slightly different model, then that is a different scenario. You get what you get due to availability at that time frame. This is a situation where a customer should be giving a model number and verifying things would match.

Customers want phone calls back when they are promised. If an answer still cannot be given then a call should still be made stating that the issue is still being worked on. By someone.

It is not my place to get in the middle of this. However, I am building a new home and have been researching ranges (as well as many other products) for over a year. Top notch customer service is as important to me as the quality of the product. I want to feel I am the most important customer on earth even though I am one of thousands. Like many people I vote with my dollar.

I also know the other side of the coin. Sometimes someone cannot be satisfied no matter what.I am NOT insinuating that this customer is like that. I have no way of making that judgement. Based on the fact that they only want a matching (and functioning) oven, and not a refund on all of them, I'd say they truly like your product and want to stick with it.

Thank goodness for Trevor. My husband is an engineer and Trevor answered questions for him that I had not thought of at the time. I'm still deciding on features and finishes (perhaps a painted color). I am making a list of more questions, which I will present to him, and possibly you as well.

Sandy

• Caddidaddy55
    12 years ago

I have a CC and have been nothing but pleased, I bought it from a local company who I have purchased from before as they have an excellent rep for customer service, even though I had to pay tax, but delivery was free. They kept me informed about the status of my range, and even though it was LP, Capital had it in stock. I had it in less than 2 weeks. I understand that if that they didn't have one in stock it could have been 4-6 weeks. If I did not have A local dealer who had a couple of Capitals in the showroom I would have Purchased from Trevor, in fact I did exchange a couple of emails with him over the last year. I actually feel if not for Trevor I would not have been as informed about this great range. I knew that people were very pleased with their Capital Precision ranges, and I did seriously look at Bluestar and if not for the oven door problems I would have purchased a Bluestar. I did look at one several years ago and was impressed by the star burners. I have still seen Trevor say Bluestar is an excellant range even though Bluestar stupedly pulled their stock from his store. So much for the people who talk about dealer abuse of Garden Web, I do agree that I don't like to see reps from a single manufacturer in the forum though. If Surgi had just responded to Constantianople and told them where in the manufacturing process their new oven was and an approximate delivery date he would not have needed to even make the statments about product changes as Capital had already agreed to replace the oven. Mostly though I think that the real problem lies with the dealer though. I highly recommend you choose a dealer in your area who has a good service rep, if you don't have a local dealer at least purchase from the guy who you know will go to bat for you. Y'all know who I'am talking about, it's the guy who goes to bat for you even though you did not purchase from him, just because he believes in the product.

• dodge59
    12 years ago

What we have here is the old "Making a mountain out of a mole hill", and yes, I'm a guilty party to it too!

The Op said, "The offer was made for the part to be shipped out immediately with instructions for repairing the unit. I was told that if I feel that I cannot complete the repair myself, I can call and ask for a repair person to be sent."

It probably would have been best to get a service person out, and hopefully the replacement fan would have failed before the service person left, I know, (Murphys Law, it would have 5 mins after He left), but what we have here is a couple of bad fans, just dumb bad luck, and as we don't see a lot of posts about failing fans on Capital ovens, it's just as I described it, Dumb luck.

The oven was not DOA, it had a squeaky fan, one hopes the Op does not bury his relatives when they "Wheeze A Bit". So a mole hill here, albeit a noisy one!

Any of us that bought just one oven, would have never known the that a difference existed, between the thumb screw and the magnetic latch, and far as we kknow, both work fine,
    So (No mountain here)!!!

As most you know I'm getting older, but I seem to recalls a tale about some kids, maybe even older kids, tweaking the Giants toes, or pulling his hair and then running, IE
    "Cheap Shots", Like the one "Who asked for your Resume"?
    That Poster has a Loud Mouth errrr finger I mean.

Some ppl here have a "short memory", (worse than Mine)!
    I can recall several posts here on GW by posters that actually visited the Capital Factory, and remarked about
    What A Gracious Host Surjit Kalsi was. So we write off Capital or declare it "Crater the Company"? Gimmie a Break
    another attempt to create a mountain out of a mole hill.

Weissman is still the Wise Man!

Like he said, Where is "The Miele Brass", to explain the low temp ovens they produced in abundance?
    Where's KA on their oven problems.

To sum it up, I was wrong, when I am, I admit it, just ask Pillog. This whole thread is of little use as far as helping a prospective purchaser make an intelligent oven purchase.

Some got their "Cookies Off" by taking cheap shots!!
    Like one inmate told his buddy, when His buddy was being lead to the Electric Chair, "MORE POWER TO YOU"!!!

We can Do better than this, Don't ya'll Thinks??
    (Yes commuincation could have been better as far as the original problem went)----but it was certainly better than what we had here!
    Gary

• constantinople
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dodge59, "The oven was not DOA, it had a squeaky fan, one hopes the Op does not bury his relatives when they 'Wheeze A Bit'. So a mole hill here, albeit a noisy one!"

Actually the oven is / was DOA. It was not a "squeaky fan." The grinding noise from the fan was deafeningly -- excruciatingly loud. The oven is not usable.

I was called Friday afternoon to tell me that an oven was found and would be drop shipped to me from the distributor.

Hopefully the new oven will work and will match the other equipment we already purchased.

I find it interesting that in Surjit's latest post, he mentions his email address. In my experience, he only answered it when I sent product inquiry messages. When I asked for his help for the defective equipment he did not respond via email (or call) to any of my messages. Maybe in the future he will do better in this regard.

Sandy808's comments are well put, however, I am not sure the dealer is at fault. That would only be the case if they knew that what was in the boxes were not identical. Based on what I know, I do not think Capital informed the dealer that changes to the equipment had been made. In any case, they certainly can't be blamed for defective merchandise. There CSR skills are lacking, but probably no worse than Capital's.

C.

• llaatt22
    12 years ago

Is there a reading noncomprehension virus going around?

A fan motor was probably combined with a newer style but incompatible fan blade assembly that could not possibly work without a certain modification. The fan assembly was likely not tested with power at the range factory on receipt nor was it modified. Anyone could have given it a finger spin and it would seem to be ok but applied power can sometimes shift the spinning rotor enough to cause the fan blades to start striking something in their path.

The oven door cooling fan assembly is installed in a range. Its activation is controlled by a thermostat. The thermostat won't cause the fan to turn on for at least half an hour after the oven starts to heat. Obviously any final factory tests on the range likely do not include simulating or waiting for this motor to come on or they would have heard the racket caused by the fan blades striking something.

Customer turns on range for first use. Waits for it to heat up. Guess what happen? Noisy racket!

Customer complains. Promised replacement fan assembly tout suite. Installs newly received (obviously unmodified, untested) fan assembly. Guess what happens? Noisy racket!

Customer is being unreasonable? Give your head a shake!

One final note: Many sales contracts for appliances and other items have a clause which closes out further warranty coverage upon entire replacement of an unsatisfactory item. The customer in this case might want to look into getting that waived if necessary.

• sandy808
    12 years ago

I may have misunderstood some things regarding the dealer who this was originally purchased from. I had thought the dealer purchased from had been contacted and had been unresponsive. I can't quite figure out if this is the case, and I have no place in making a judgement call on anyone because I truly don't know and am not involved in the whole situation. It's actually none of my business.

Being outspoken as I am, I've stated my opinions on dealer role in general, since it's something to be considered when making a purchase.

All things said, I do feel Capital is making a sincere effort in providinng good customer service. Much better than what I'm generally seeing with many other businesses these days.

Sandy

• tyguy
    12 years ago

All I can say is I am shocked!!

I have not even looked at this thread until today as I am not at all interested in wall ovens. I ended up looking at because of a reference to it in another thread that I was following.

Although I have read a few posts here with somewhat substandard customer service from Capital, I did truly believe that they were a cut above most other companies in this respect. BUT NOT ANYMORE.

I don't care what anyone here says, I think the OP has been more than fair and not in any way a whiny jerk. I would be really pissed off if I bought three "identical" units at the same time and they were not the same when shipped. I don't want a dogs breakfast of different ovens. Makes it look like the OP either bought the items at a discount warehouse or scratch and dent or at three different times as an after thought. Heck I am pissed off because my window manufacturer had changed the interior design of its windows slightly from 3 years ago. The original poster bought expensive high end products, I think they should receive high end service and certainly not three different units made during 3 different times in the products "evolutionary" product cycle. I can certainly see this mistake having been made, but to just say "oh well sucks to be you" (paraphrasing) and "we will try not to let that happen again" (paraphrasing again) right here in writing in front of the entire world to see is nothing short of astonishing.

Oh....and then there is the Mr Kalsi. I had high regard for him at one point, but to come on here and basically say he was gods gift to professional style ranges and then in my opinion attack the customer and not address one single point again is simply astonishing. I honestly did not expect that from him. I don't care if you designed some ugly ranges (DCS and Capital) in the past or were inducted to the hall of fame. Fact is, you were incredibly rude in front of the entire world to a customer of yours.

And to those people that defend Kalsi in saying things like "where are Miele's brass on this forum etc" Well, frankly I would rather not have the executive of any company come on here and lambast ME for THEIR incompetency and mistakes.

To the original poster I am behind you 100% on this. You have not been in any way shape and or form unreasonable here.

• cassity
    12 years ago

constantinople,

What's the status of your predicament?

• constantinople
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cassity, thanks for asking.

I haven't heard anything since last Wednesday when I was told that an oven was located and would be drop shipped to me "from the midwest region."

However, no one has called me to say whether or not the oven has shipped, or if it has shipped given me the tracking information. I have no idea when to expect it, whether it will be offloaded onto the street, brought into my house, etc. That information is important to know, since I will need to make some plans to get it inside when it arrives.

C.

• sandy808
    12 years ago

How very frustrating for you............Yes, you do need to know when it is going to arrive. You wouldn't want it sitting outdoors and then have it rain!

I hope after all this you end up with a nice oven.

• gregfl
    12 years ago

Unreal how some people pile onto every conflict that comes their way.

This is how I see it. A consumer bought a product that was defective.

Okay, not fun but also not unusual (unfortunately). Most people are exposed to this frustration from time to time in their lives and they seek resolution to their problem and to their frustration.

Her initial frantic requests (bypassing the dealer apparently) for a resolution weren't resolved WITHIN 2 DAYS and she immediately took it onto a public forum. This is potentially very punative to a business and should be used as a last resort due to the potential harm it can cause a business. It wasn't. This surprises me,the level of detachment people have to their words and online actions.

The president of the company responds in the thread with his phone number, personal email and says "the customer is boss". He also agrees to ship a new unit. This is highly unusual to get such a response from a ceo on a public forum about a product complaint, so kudos to Capital.

Some of the people reading the thread swarm and hang on his every word (which aren't even his native tongue) and berate him and his business.

This is a crap thread.

• cassity
    12 years ago

grefll...not only do people pile on every conflict they muddy the issues even further by adding personal twists to turn a discussion their way, such as you did by saying, "...hang on his every word (which aren't even his native tongue) and berate him and his business."

From Capital's website:

He (Surjit) also initiated a new website for Capital before he left in 2008 to pursue his Masters degree in english literature,
    creative writing and fine arts at the University of San Francisco.

• llaatt22
    12 years ago

re: "native tongue"

That's a bit weird. I've met many accomplished people of Indian background whose command of spoken and written English is often far above the average you will find in people with tenure here. CEO S. Kalsi obviously is a talented industrial designer and businessman who has brought a much desired and sought after product to market.

That said, there need to be some mundane organizational improvements by his staff in quickly grasping, taking action, and carefully dealing with "trouble tickets" originated by customers who need to be kept informed.

• gregfl
    12 years ago

You should understand that foreign nationals even with a fine command of the language can come across as boasting when they are not or angry when they are not, etc. Hell, even native speakers sometimes find themselves apologing for 'coming off wrong'.In spite of how he came across, he offered his assistance directly which is almost unheard of in all aspects of retail sales. Just try to get the CEO of Kichenaide to respond to your complaint on an online forum, or get the CEO of ford to answer your grievances against your new truck in an open, unmoderated forum.

In addition to majoring in english, I was a paid english tutor for foreign nationals the entire time I was in College. Oh yeah, I am married to a foreign national who speaks english as a second language. After almost 8 years we still have to ask each other occasionally the emotion behind statements, and we are married. Yet you guys jumped on him, made assumptions and also made insults.

Have fun guys. Out of this idiotic thread.

• plllog
    12 years ago

I agree that the personal attacks on the CEO are entirely uncalled for.

I think the frustration is that both a lower down and he made appearances here but didn't actually do anything to fix the problem, or say anything particularly helpful. If you're going to respond about a grievance, it's best to do it with solution in hand, or say, directly, "we don't have a solution yet." Otherwise, instead of being helpful, it comes off as dismissive and interfering, even if that's not what the individual posting meant.

This is another reason why well trained customer relations or public relations specialists are actually better representatives of their companies than CEOs. They are trained to understand nuance and the emotional load of what they're saying, and how it is likely to be interpreted.

• tyguy
    12 years ago

I agree with plllog...Sure Mr. Kalsi came on here, but big deal? He didn't offer any resolution, in fact he came across as tho he was angry at the OP and others on here for being armchair critics or as he put it "self appointed experts". He didn't leave his contact info until his second post, which occurred after he received some form of criticism regarding his previous post. Fact is, Trevor even had to get involved in order for Capital to respond to the OP.

• constantinople
    Original Author
    12 years ago

tyguy, Yes, unfortunately true -- "He didn't offer any resolution..."

And if you read the thread carefully, you will see that I contacted Mr. Kalsi long before he appeared on the board. To those efforts, he made no response.

Since threads like this evolve organically, and information is disclosed piecemeal as it becomes relevant to the conversation, it is important to read everything before coming to a conclusion.

As of this point, no communication, no oven.

C.

• sandy808
    12 years ago

I'm just really surprised you were not given a tracking number.

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

"8/22 First use of oven with different moist drawer. Reported oven failure."

8/23 - Constantinople takes the issue to public forum.

Long thread, did I miss anything important?

• tyguy
    12 years ago

I think what has been lost in this thread, is the fact that he received different ovens and was told to take a hike. I don't care if he takes that to a public forum 5 minutes after being told that. IMO, that is not at all acceptable.

This is how I see it; The OP buys 3 expensive appliances at the same time. He undoubtedly expects to get the same product shipped and he doesn't. So he calls up Capital and is told that it sucks but oh well. So he takes a deep breath and accepts it. So already being a bit disappointed, he then has a serious issue with one of the products and he contacts Capital and is not responded to in a what he thinks is a timely fashion. Ok, 2 days isn't all that long, but he was already put off about his experience so naturally he is a bit more anxious now. And lets not forget, this thread originated on 8/23. It is now 9/26 and it still has not been looked after. I know that problems happen, and at times it takes longer than we would like it to to solve, but Capital seems to have handled this quite poorly as far as communication goes. Maybe Mr. Kalsi's boss (the OP in this case) should advise him to work on his customer relations.

Now that is exactly what cracks me up, Mr Kalsi comes on here and says things like "my customers are my boss" and a lot of hot air like that. He is a very crafty person. Talk is cheap, but unfortunately a lot of people fall for it. If the customer is his boss, then I (if I was the OP) would order my subordinate (Mr Kalsi) to take back my ovens and give me 3 ovens that are identical, and of course that work.

Ok, lets dissect a few things Mr. Kalsi said in his first response.

Kalsi: "The gentleman who has accused us of selling him one wall oven of old stock must understand that no manufacturer worth its salt leaves their products unchanged for ever."

Accused us...That is pretty insulting, plus you admit later that he received different ovens, so I suppose the "accusation" is true?

Kalsi:"They always keep their products under constant scrutiny and modify in order to make it easier for the end user or easier to produce. We state this in our USE and CARE Manual."

Not the point. The point is that the OP received products manufactured at different points in the products evolution. Plus Kalsi insinuates that his boss(the customer) should RTFM.

Kalsi:"This does not mean that the product was inferior in any way."

No one suggested that.

Kalsi:"The three Wall ovens do not look in any way different from each other except when you open the oven door. One Oven has a Screw to secure the Moist Roast Water Reservoir door and the other two ovens have magnetic door latch. "

And this is important to the customer. It would be important to me as well. But the customer held his breath and accepted that you were not going to do anything about it. His issue now is that one of the products is dead.

Kalsi:"Our mistake was that we sent all three Ovens to one consumer."

EXACTLY! So make it right.

Kalsi:"If the one with Screw had gone to a customer who bought only one Wall Oven he would never have complained."

EXACTLY!!! So why did you not do that? Or at very least since mistakes can happen, do the right thing and make it right.

Kalsi:"Why so much fuss on the web is beyond me."

Try to minimizing the issue.

Obviously since there is such a fuss about it, there must be something you are missing, so do the right thing. Stop talking out of your a** about how important your customers are to you and look after the person on here that bought three of your products.

• sandy808
    12 years ago

This is just a generlization and not singling any one company out, and what I feel is the reason for this thread getting long. It isn't specifically about wall ovens. It's about the trend that is happening in this country.

What is happening these days is people are being made to feel guilty if they complain about customer service or a product that isn't working properly, or a problem they feel should be handled in a more timely manner.

A person spends hard earned money (I've never been handed anything in my life, so all my money is hard earned), so when they aren't happy about the outcome they should be treated in a manner that addresses that properly, and with respect.

If something is a fact they certainly have a right to be upset and to tell whomever they please about it. The rest of us are smart enough to dig into the situation to see if the complaint is justified or not. I just don't get all the "politically correct" way of thinking today.

Mistakes happen, and some products don't work correctly. They arive damaged sometimes. Sometimes a customer service represtative is not doing their job. That is the real world. It happens. Make proper ammends then! Quickly. That same day. The goal of a GOOD company is to always strive for perfection and try to avoid it happening in the first place, and good communication. It will make or break a company.

Credentials don't mean squat to someone who is unhappy about a product or customer service. It's not credentials that are fixing the situation, it's caring about the customer that does. I think it is rather safe to say that a good share of people that have any money left over today to buy things have some pretty impressive credentials themselves, and/or are very smart about how they spend their money even if they don't have said "credentials".

I personally do not feel constatinole has been out of line in being angry about this whole situation. It has been over a month and doesn't know without a tracking number if the oven has been shipped or if it was shipped and is sitting in the middle of the woods somewhere. I would be livid about now.

• tyguy
    12 years ago

sandy: very well said.

• constantinople
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Update: I received a call from my contractor on Wednesday asking if I was expecting the delivery of an oven. Apparently it had been shipped to him rather than me -- strange since Capital told me they were shipping the oven to my home, just as they had done when they shipped the replacement fan. I never received any notification of when to expect the oven or a tracking number, so I had no way of knowing it was going somewhere other than my home.

Today we put the replacement oven into the cabinet. We noticed immediately that there were "handles" on the new oven, not present on the old oven. The handles are metal bars mounted by heavy gauge cable into the side of the oven cabinet. I only mention this because Capital told me repeatedly that the only difference between the oven I received and the current models was the way that the moist drawer opened. Obviously some other (perhaps insignificant) things were also changed.

We placed the oven in the cabinet and ran it for about 1 hr -- so far it seems to be working.

C.

• sandy808
    12 years ago

Good to hear you finally got your new oven. Bake something yummy and let us know how you like it.

• plllog
    12 years ago

Thank goodness!! (Weird, but at least it's in, and so far it works.)

Keeping a good thought for the continued health and function of all three. :)

• constantinople
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well folks, things have taken a turn for the worse...

After the empty oven was heated and run for about 1hr we were happy to hear a normal fan -- no screaming / screeching. All seemed to be well.

Then the beeping began after the exhaust fan stopped. For the next 2 1/2 hours the oven beeped -- sometimes a single beep, sometime 4 beeps in a row. There was no discernible pattern. We have no idea why the oven was beeping. No timers were set. The display showed no error messages -- just the clock.

By 12:30am we had to throw the breaker, since the oven showed no signs of stopping -- the beeping was loud and we wanted to get some sleep.

What we noticed: the exhaust fan ran for a much shorter time than the oven above it. We remarked at how quickly the fan stopped in comparison -- primarily because the exhaust fan on the working oven seems to run forever and it gets pretty annoying. In any case, the fan on the new oven ran for much less time -- though we did not time it, so we don't know exactly how much time less. The point is that perhaps the heat did not fully exhaust and the oven was giving some sort of heat warning....or not. Who knows.

The old saying -- when life throw you lemons, make lemonade makes me wonder....does anyone have a recipe to make lemonade out of a Capital oven?

C.

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

Constantinople that is some seriously bad luck. Here's hoping it all gets resolved with three ovens that actually work. Though it's starting to sound a bit like Einstein's definition of insanity ... doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results. I hope you aren't driven to insanity by it all.

Skip the lemonade and go directly to margaritas IMO. Maybe your oven could function as storage for your tequila margarita mix and glasses.

• sandy808
    12 years ago

Wow. You must be VERY frustrated by now. I know I would be. Obviously this oven needs to go back. I'd demand a full refund. In fact, since I am like you and would want all the ovens to match (especially in a new house), I would send all of them back and go to Plan B. There is absolutely NO WAY I would tolerate this mess.

I agree you need the margaritas. The lemonade isn't going to cut it.

Sandy

• maire_cate
    12 years ago

C - has anything been resolved about this latest fiasco? I'm hoping you have something positive to report.

• zeebee
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness - I can't believe your problems are still dragging on. Nightmare.

• sandy808
    12 years ago

I'm glad I decided against dealing with Capital.

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    12 years ago

constantinople..... Did you call capital about the beeping or did the problem resolve itself ?

• constantinople
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Trevor and others,

Sorry for the black-out. I have been and am still traveling and have not had a chance to respond. Here is the situation:

We have used the new oven two times. The first time it exhibited the beeping described above, as well as a much short exhaust fan cycle. The second time, it do not exhibit the beeping, but it did exhibit the shorter exhaust fan cycle. I speculated to myself that perhaps the beeping was some sort of heat warning because the fan was not running, however the manual does not describe the beeping in the troubleshooting section.

There is a 1/2 hour differential between the two oven with regards to the exhaust fan cycle. At this point I have not called Capital because I wanted to do another test. Clearly something is wrong. Two identical ovens set to the identical temperature and heated for the same amount of time should have an identical (or nearly identical) exhaust fan cycle.

I have not called Capital because I feel like I need to do one more test with both ovens to verify the results.

Obviously something is wrong, but I am not sure where the problem lies. Perhaps the longer exhaust cycle (of the original oven) is incorrect (1 hr exhaust fan run-time in every situation) and the beeping was anomalous in the new oven. I have also not timed the other original oven that we still have w/ regards to the exhaust cycle.

I will report back after I return home and do further tests.

C.

• hemspa
    12 years ago

I'm a Canadian and had thought I narrowed my research down to Capital after loads of research and reading blogs. And then I fortunatlely came across this one.... Since my only option is to order over the net I can't imagine what sort of service I'd receive especially when Americans have this sort of treatment. I think I'll stick to something a bit more proven. Thanks everyone for sharing all of your experiences.