SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pierce_phillips_gw

Question about ridig foam insulation w/ wood clapboard siding

pierce_phillips
15 years ago

I am designing my dream home, and have a question about one thing.

My design for the exterior walls is 2x6 construction with the studs 24"oc. The initial design was to have 7/16" OSB sheathing on the exterior, then 1/2"-thick traditional eastern white pine clapboard siding on top of that. Then I learned about 'thermal bridging', where heat or cold outside the house transfers via conduction (direct contact) through the siding, then the OSB sheathing, then through the studs -- thereby "short-circuiting" past the insulation in the wall cavity and costing me more in heating and cooling costs. I learned that the easiest and least-expensive of the effective ways of preventing this is to install 1"-thick rigid foam panels (like the blue Styrofoam panels, or the pink Owens-Corning ProPink panels) on the outside of the house. In a typical installation, these are used INSTEAD of the wood sheathing (plywood or OSB) -- in other words, the foam panels are attached directly to the wall studs, and the siding is attached directly to the foam panels. But from what I've read, that only words with vinyl, aluminum, masonry veneer, and reinforced stucco sidings -- NOT wood. Wood needs to be hammered into wood sheathing panels (OSB or plywood), NOT foam.

My question is -- is there an inexpensive and easy alternate construction method to fix this problem? In other words, I want all three -- 7/16" OSB sheathing, 1" rigid foam panels, and traditional wood clapboard siding. How would this be accomplished, if possible?

Comments (19)