SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maggiepie11_gw

home office help

maggiepie11
10 years ago

we're breaking ground next week and already had our red line meeting, but today i got on the kick of trying to plan our home office in terms of furniture layout and i'm stuck.

the office isn't as big as we wanted it, but for exterior elevation symmetry purposes, we ended up with roughly 15.7 x 11.7 with one 4' wide window off-center and a closet that's roughly 2x4. we've got french doors opening into the room. you can see all this on the floor plan below.

anyway, here's the dilemma. DH and i both work from home and have several computers/monitors in use at all times. so his #1 priority is having a large L-shape work station. my #1 priority is a tie between being situated so that my desk is looking out the window, and having a really pretty space. a secondary preference is to be situated as far away from each other as possible and not facing each other (sorry honey!) just for the times when we have conflicting conference calls!

originally (in my head) i figured we'd have built-in wrap around desks from the closet wrapped along exterior wall and then wrapped again maybe 6' along the foyer wall. but our window goes down to about 18" above floor height, so the desk counter would have to drop way down, and i think breaking the surface height would emphasize the lack of symmetry on that wall, so then i started trying to find other solutions and got overwhelmed.

we wanted a closet to store files and un-pretty stuff and thought maybe our modem and data connections would go in there but they can't. so i'm wondering if we should get rid of the closet or move it or if you have suggestions on how to achieve our key objectives. the window size and position is 100% fixed and can't change. french door size and location as well as closet are much more flexible.

do you have a 2-desk home office? or feeling creative and want to play with some different layouts? i'm all ears (err, eyes?)

thanks!

Comments (4)