SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom2sethc_gw

Bathroom vanity top questions (pics)

mom2sethc
15 years ago

Hello,

We built our home 1 year ago and due to keeping the costs down we put vinyl flooring and laminate counters in the baths. It is now time to tile the floors, I wasn't planning to replace the counter tops yet (mostly because I have no issues with the laminates and unlike others, I don't hate laminate). However, in my sons bath, I have a gray/blue color on the walls, the floor will be a black and white (octagon pattern with black accent squares), I want to use a glass mosiac gray/white/black backsplash. The problem is that the countertop must go, it simply clashes with this planned color scheme I think it even clashes with the current flooring and wall color! It has warm brown tones to it with splashes of blue, this color is tricky, it is SW Steely Gray, it really looks best when used as gray and not blue.

Anyway...I want a black countertop. I checked Home Depot and they have a lot of "ready made" black granite counters for standard 48" counters. However, as you can see in my pic, my cab is 48", but it is sandwiched between a wall and another cabinet. I can't use a standard 49" inch vanity top. The countertop itself measures exactly 48". I'm afraid that getting a special order one would cost me more than I want to spend right now. What is involved with replacing the current laminate with another laminate? Do I need to replace the entire counter? Can I add new laminate on top of old laminate? Is it easy enough to remove the old laminate and replace with new laminate?

Thanks for all suggestions!

Bathroom (during construction, counter not installed yet):

{{gwi:1479148}}

Countertop in my Kitchen (this would be perfect in my sons bathroom, I wish I would have realized that when we built!):

Elaine

Comments (3)